Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sleep Deprovation.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just started a shift job as a nurse but havent slept for days as i thought whats the point when i have to get up at 4:30am? But first i feel tired then i feel really hyped up then i go tired again and moody then really happy etc. I spout shit and i feel so wierd and people are noticing that i'm acting like a deranged monkey. Is this normal for sleep deprovation?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you realise that as a nurse, you are in a position of responsibility! So you need your sleep (So you do not kill someone, I hope you do not think that I am joking!!)

Do a search on google if you do not believe me

here are a few links:

http://tinyurl.com/8jky
    http://tinyurl.com/8jl6
    http://tinyurl.com/8jlh

Depravtion of sleep for over 24hrs will affect your reaction speed, your memory, and concentration. 36hrs, and your body will start to shut down! you will get drowsy, then bam! you are asleep

If you drive to work, I think you are TOTALLY mad! I never drive a huge metal killing machine whilst tired, so why would you? (if you dot not drive, you still need to sleep!)

My dad does 5am starts sometimes, he has to go to bed about about 8. He misses all the good tv progs etc, but he realises that he has to do this to get money, to feed us.

Simply put, you need sleep. Either change your shift, or change your life to suit. plan to sleep about 8hrs, then work out your bed time. You're only 18 so i expect you still like to party and watch TV etc, but you really need to sort this out, so you don't end up having an accident or something :(
    pendaris right Jellygirl, im afraid. You need some sleep, even if it means getting a few hours less than usual, or going to bed a few hours earlier. even if you went to bed at 10 and got up at 4.30, thats still 6 and a half hours which although youd be tired when you woke, its not a bad amount of sleep and people can get by on that quite easily. or go to bed at 9 and youre only half an hour away from the optimum amount of sleep they reccomend.
    People need there sleep every night at least 7 hours of it. As you are a nurse you need your sleep even more!!
    Re: Sleep Deprovation.
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    I just started a shift job as a nurse but havent slept for days as i thought whats the point when i have to get up at 4:30am? But first i feel tired then i feel really hyped up then i go tired again and moody then really happy etc. I spout shit and i feel so wierd and people are noticing that i'm acting like a deranged monkey. Is this normal for sleep deprovation?

yeah thats normal. you get used to the mood changes tho. i myself regularly go without sleep. it's not doing anything for my mental health (chronically depressed), but what can you do.

my personal record for functioning without sleep would be 2 weeks. i was in a phase where i had to complete all 3 of the original pokemon games for the gameboy, getting every single damn pokemon.

and the others are right. your reaction times slooooow sooooo much. sensible thought is virtually impossible after about a week and a half, then your muscles start to lose strength, and before long, you're a vegetable, and thats when your body shuts down and you sleep, whether you like it or not.

edited to agree with others
    Dreamer3k; You functioned after 2 weeks of no sleep? I dont want to question your truthfulness but, well wouldnt you be dead.

As for getting 8 hours a night, I wish, I think the last time I got 8 hours sleep in a stretch was last summer, I remember these events because I so rarely have them.
    It really depends on your needs, most people can survive with 6 or 7 hours a night, but some cant. I normaly get about 6, in 2 3 hour blocks.

If you are starting early can we presume that you are finishing relatively early too? If so you should record the TV shows that you want to watch in the evening and then watch them the next afternoon.
    Yep that’s totally normal for sleep deprivation. I work in a night club that does all nighters so after doing a couple of nights there and trying to be with my friends during the day I usually end up totally veged. I tend to find that a couple of hours before work and a couple of hours after work duz well. It takes a while to get into a new sleep pattern but it will sort its self out in the end. Also just another tip. If your going to drink coffee eat pro plus what ever after waking your self up with it keep taking it so that you feel awake until your ready to go to bed or else you will be even worse once it wares off if u still have to stop up
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Dreamer3k; You functioned after 2 weeks of no sleep? I dont want to question your truthfulness but, well wouldnt you be dead.

not dead, but a vegetable for most of that second week. the human body is suprisingly tough.
    im sure you must have dozed off a few times in those 2 weeks. The human body couldnt stay without any sleep at all for that long, even with drugs, let alone without.
    you'd be suprised. back in school, i regularly took several days without sleep. it's all a matter of building up to it. start off with 24 hours, then 36, and so on and so forth. i slept like a baby for several days after.

and it was probably closer to 12 days rather than 2 full weeks.
    i AM very surprised, as even at the height of my amphetamine problem i could only manage 4 days and then i couldnt function and was hallucinating and crying constantly. I still mantain that you would have dozed off without maybe noticing it a few times.
    Re: Re: Sleep Deprovation.
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    my personal record for functioning without sleep would be 2 weeks. i was in a phase where i had to complete all 3 of the original pokemon games for the gameboy, getting every single damn pokemon.

:eek: By the way who "made" you stay up and complete those games?!!!! ;)

Jellygirl - I have a friend who starts work at 4am every morning and she goes to bed about 9.30pm and gets up at 3am. Sometimes her boyfriend hasn't even gone to bed yet and she's getting up!
    Her advice is to go to bed at the same time every night, no matter how hard this may be to achieve.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    i AM very surprised, as even at the height of my amphetamine problem i could only manage 4 days and then i couldnt function and was hallucinating and crying constantly. I still mantain that you would have dozed off without maybe noticing it a few times.

believe what you will but i've been known to do that kinda thing (i.e. stay up for days on end) for fun. and amphetamines do cause nasty side effects, which were probably the cause of the hallucinations and the constant crying.
    and to those who know me, it's not too suprising. most of the time i'm seemingly half asleep anyway.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    By the way who "made" you stay up and complete those games?!!!!

the voices in my head!! those games were so damn addictive!! yes i now feel the shame for completing all of those pokemon games, but i'll be damned if i'll apologise for playing them :p
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    believe what you will but i've been known to do that kinda thing (i.e. stay up for days on end) for fun. and amphetamines do cause nasty side effects, which were probably the cause of the hallucinations and the constant crying.
    yeah ok, but they only ever happened if i stayed up for 3 or 4 days so I automatically assume its to do with the lack of sleep rather than a side effect of the speed. Its just a coincidence that i didnt get them unless i stayed up for a long time yes mr drugs guru?
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    yeah ok, but they only ever happened if i stayed up for 3 or 4 days so I automatically assume its to do with the lack of sleep rather than a side effect of the speed. Its just a coincidence that i didnt get them unless i stayed up for a long time yes mr drugs guru?

i honestly woundn't know. i'm clean, don't touch drugs etc. hell, i even avoid asprin. lack of sleep affect people differently. brain chemicals and that lot.
    Kurt Cobian stayed up for about 2 weeks once. Just to see what happens.
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    Kurt Cobian stayed up for about 2 weeks once. Just to see what happens.
    and now look at him!
    he also used his own blood, teeth and shit to make "art". he was one seriously messed up dude.