Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctors notes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suffer from migraines but I take over the counter drugs for them. My uni wants a doctors note.

Can I just go and ask for one or will I have to pay.

My mother said I would need to be "diagnosed" by the doctor first but I think I know what a migraine is and how to treat it! I went to see him about it about two years ago and he told me to go to the opticians (?!!! :) )

Does anyone have any experience of this (needing a doctors note without ever having them tell you what is wrong with you?)

Comments

• Options
    It really depends on the doctor, each doctor has their own "rules" for handing out sick certificates.

The problem is that the migraine has been and gone, so there is no proof that you actually had it to begin with and some doctors may feel uncomfortable stating on a sick certificate that you actually had a migraine as they may feel what they are doing is unethical. Does this make sense? It really depends on how well he knows you as well, if he has known you for a long time and knows that you are not the type of person to bludge, then he may have no problems signing one.

I know that my doctor prefers to see me on the day that I am sick if he needs to sign a certificate, although I have known him for long enough to know also that if I was unable to get to the doctors for some reason he would write one for me. He judges it on a case by case basis.

I also use to suffer from migraines and know that there was no point in going to the doctors each time I had one - I would have been there every month if that was the case!

I suggest that you make an appointment and see him and explain the problem or ring the receptionist about it. Although if you go and see him you may appear more genuine.
  • Options
    just try askin ure gp if he says no demand a note :naughty::naughty::naughty:
  • Options
    Yep you don have to pay...unless you're sleeping with your doctor.

I've sat-in with GP's and they charge like £6-10 (i think) for a sick note.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cinders
    "rules"

ethics and morality maybe?
  • Options
    you will have to be diagnosed by the doctor before he will write a note for you.

the rules at my practice are that if illness has caused you to be off work/school 7 consecutive days, the note is free.

if not, it's £10.