Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hmm.. check this out willya?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After a fair amount of searching I've found a pc which I think will cater to my every need and before I commit myself to a hefty fund suckage I thought I'd be smart to get the opinion of you fine people lurking on the net forum.

Remember in particular I'd use it for essays and film editing, things like that with a few games thrown in. Thanks for the help in advance peeps

Sony Vaio

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The spec is okay. You may find that the onboard audio and video and not sufficient if you want to do serious graphics / film editing. You can always buy expansion cards to replace them though.

There is no DVD writer installed. If you're into movie production, you might want to consider a system with one.

For the price it seems ok, but it looks like a US site. Do you know what shipping, handling and taxes will add to that price? You may also find that having a US version of the operating system is troublesome over here, where games and other software sold for the European market is incompatible.
    ur better ordering all the parts from somewhere like www.scan.co.uk or www.dabs.com and build it yourself, i built mine for about 350 squid.

1.13ghz, 256mb ram, 40 gig hdd, cd-rw

Bearing in mind that was well over a year ago, im sure u could get a much higher spec for a similar price.
    I'd more or less agree with Mist. You will soon find a DVD-RW extremely useful for the enormous files you will be creating. And it's the same with hard disk space. 80GB will soon be gobbled up, but there is a spare drive bay so you could add a second hard drive in the future. The sound and video are now a couple of generations behind the cutting edge, but sufficient, and you'd probably want to upgrade sometime in the future, which is possible as there is an AGP slot. It doesn't say much about the speakers, but you'd probably fancy upgrading them before long, and include a surround sound card. Considering the size of the files you'll be dealing with, you'll probably want to upgrade the memory before long.
    It just depends upon the price you can get it at, and what you can afford. I reckon it won't be long before you get bitten by the upgrading bug, and end up spending loads anyway.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I see what you mean about the dvd-rw drive, I'll have to look into that. I'm not actually ordering it from that site, I was just tracking down the specific model I want so I dont have to waste too much time on the streets.

I'm not really bothered about surround sound etc and dont play games that often, only now and then. I'm just peeved that i got max payne for this one a couple of christmas' ago and I haven't got enough memory to play it! As long as games like AvP2 work fine, that's all I need.