Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

:(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had to have a blood test today :(

For glandular fever! im feeling really bad! and I HATE NEEDLES!:( :eek:

Comments

• Options
    don't worry, they're not that bad.

try to look away from the needle. i always get freaked out if i look at it, but if i concentrate on something across the room or out of the window, i'm fine.

good luck :)
  • Options
    I can't stand blood tests :(
    had one 2 weeeks ago and when the nurse put the needle in, the vial woould only half fill so she started moving it around to get more blood out the vein....damn it hurt!!!

Hope you're okay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie

try to look away from the needle.

Yep, that's always a good idea. It's not so much the actual needle I hate, just the waiting for them to stick it in - tensing up is the worst thing to do, I always find it a lot less painful if I try to 'zone out' rather than sitting there thinking....'hurry up....c'mon, is she going to do it yet...hurry up etc'

Some doctors/nurses seem to be better than others. I've had nurses who can take it without so much as a sting.
    Other times, I've had huge bruises and an aching arm where they've been prodding me.

The thought is worse than the actual procedure anyway. And it's dead quick. Let them know that needles freak you out (although most people have some kind of dread when having blood taken) and just try and relax. Try being the operative word.
  • Options
    I couldnt cope with just that being done :( thats why i could never give blood i almost fainted when i saw the small tub she had taken!

I would do anything for any charity but i would not do that!!!

Its all bruised and sore today :(

And im feeling so ill - nurse said she hopes it is glandular fever and not something worse! I hope it is too as i will need mor blood tests and im NOT going through all that again!!!!
  • Options
    I had to have a blood test once to check for blood clots luckily none were found but I've discovered I have high blood levels. What are high blood levels?

Anyway I nearly shot through the roof in pain when I had blood taken from me. Its put me off having anything to do with pain. My ears are not pierced for a start.

I also admire those people who give blood to help others I couldn't do it myself and I'm not the right weight to be able to do it.