Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For the boys - the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been sleeping with my boyfriend for a couple of months now and I've decided to go on the pill. We talked about it - that is, I suggested it and he replied with something along with 'that's a nice idea, dear.' I don't know why but I felt cross that he didn't seem that interested. I told him that, and he appeared to understand and reassured me that it wasn't that he wasn't interested, he just doesn't know much about the pill and it's 'more of a girly thing' but of course he wants to know what I'm doing to my body ie if I'm popping pills every day.

Anyway what I really wanted to ask was, guys - did your girlfriend bring up the subject of going on the pill, or did you? Did you talk much about it or did she just announce it to you? And what do you think about your gf going on the pill - does it bother you that it may have consequences for her health and it could be a big thing for her, or do you not know much about it?

Thanks people :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: For the boys - the pill
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I've been sleeping with my boyfriend for a couple of months now and I've decided to go on the pill. We talked about it - that is, I suggested it and he replied with something along with 'that's a nice idea, dear.' I don't know why but I felt cross that he didn't seem that interested. I told him that, and he appeared to understand and reassured me that it wasn't that he wasn't interested, he just doesn't know much about the pill and it's 'more of a girly thing' but of course he wants to know what I'm doing to my body ie if I'm popping pills every day.

Anyway what I really wanted to ask was, guys - did your girlfriend bring up the subject of going on the pill, or did you? Did you talk much about it or did she just announce it to you? And what do you think about your gf going on the pill - does it bother you that it may have consequences for her health and it could be a big thing for her, or do you not know much about it?

Thanks people :)

I reckon it's more her choice if she goes on it or not. I'd like her to mention it, but it's not really for me to comment on it.

She'd have to mention if she was coming off it though.

I know next to nothing about it, but I'm fine with that. It's a girl's thing :p

:rolleyes:
    My fiance was already on the pill when we met, but she is not anymore. She discussed her decision with me and we agreed on it, although I do believe that the final choice in all matters relating to the female body rest with the female herself. :)
    Originally posted by mat1t
    Also, i know sod all about the pill, so i don't really trust it! :)
    Do some of you fellow men not desire to learn a little more about it before you condemn it?

Contraceptives are the juristiction of both partners in a relationship, surely?
    I was on the pill when I started going out with my boyfriend, but I switched to depo shortly after. Yes, we've spoken about it, and I've showed him leaflets about it and stuff. It's not a subject we avoid :)
    I discussed going on the pill with my boyfriend before we had sex. We both wanted it to be as safe as possible so we decided it was the best thing...and we were going to wait until I was on it before we had sex, but we got a little bit carried away :D
    I'd say since it involves both partners (even if you are the only one actually taking it), it's still something that should be openly discussed.....educate him!!
    My boyfriend read quite a lot of stuff about it so he knew what was going on..
    I went on the pill whilst being single, so realy this is a pointless thread, but I felt like saying something. It was really for my piece of mind if anything did happen in the future at the time. one night stands, split condoms whatever. Just so I knew I was at least protected from getting pregnant. one less worry in the world. before that I ahd the coil fitted, but that was as emergency contraception so it wasn't really a discussed thing at the time.

We discussed whether after that I should leave it in or go on the pil, but we decided there was less hassle and less side efffects using the coil.
    I told my bf that I was thinkin of going on the pill before we started sleeping together because I new that that time was drawing closer. He didnt really say much cos he said he didnt know much about it. We slept together for the 1st time and the condom split and I had 2 go to the docs, and that was when I decided that I was definatly going on the pill. But me and my bf arent together anymore (which seriously sucks) but I will probably stay on it just in case.
    i'm not on the pill but i probably will be going on it in the near future. it was my mother who brought the topic up. told me to get myself down the family planning centre. and then i mentioned that convo to my boyfriend. we had a bit of a chat about it last night actually. the two things he seems to be liking about the pill are that 1)i can skip periods on it, and 2)he won't have to wear the condom anymore. selfish boy, lol.
    My gf told me that she was on the pill. We haven't talked about it much but I'm happy for her to go on it. I found a leaflet about the pill, never knew the health problems it could cause so I don't want her to put herself at risk, I'm perfectly happy to use condoms for her.
    My boyfriend and I disscussed the pill at lengh before I went on it, and still do. I definately like it that way, proves hes interested and wants to feel part of it.
    Originally posted by Sprouts
    My boyfriend and I disscussed the pill at lengh before I went on it, and still do. I definately like it that way, proves hes interested and wants to feel part of it.
    Thats the kinda thing I mean - I guess I feel like my boyfriend isn't really interested because he didn't seem to want to talk much about it. But hey, I guess he does care, just everyone's different :)
    Thanks for everyone's replies!
    I got that impression from my boyfriend to, that he didnt really want to talk about it. I got quite upset really and he realised how much it meant to me that we did talk about it. When I got the pill prescribed, I took it round to his house and we looked at the leaflet and talked about it together.
    I think he was just a bit shy about it all, especially as I went on the pill before we started having sex. Maybe if you explain to him that you would like to talk about it with him he'll feel better about it. Maybe at the moment he just feels it is a bit of a 'girly thing' and that you'd both feel a bit difficult talking about it.
    :)
    Yeah thanks Sprouts. Well I'm going to the doctor this week and my boyfriend's back next weekend (he's away atm) so maybe I'll talk to him more then, show him the leaflet etc.. thank you :)
    Anytime:)
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    I went on the pill whilst being single, so realy this is a pointless thread, but I felt like saying something. It was really for my piece of mind if anything did happen in the future at the time. one night stands, split condoms whatever. Just so I knew I was at least protected from getting pregnant. one less worry in the world. before that I ahd the coil fitted, but that was as emergency contraception so it wasn't really a discussed thing at the time.

We discussed whether after that I should leave it in or go on the pil, but we decided there was less hassle and less side efffects using the coil.

I think I heard of using the coil only last week-
    Is it like some injection you get with a filter or something like that is it?It seems a really great idea and sursprised more people dont use it!Or am I totally wrong here....
    No, a coil is just that, its inserted into your uterus and prevents a fertilised egg from implanting.
    The injection is something different, its just a jab witch gives you the same sort of protection as the pill, because they use the same hormones.