Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunteering help

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Does anyone have any ideas about what i could volunteer for?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be gangbanged!

Ah no - sorry Lacy. there is so many things to volunteer for but you have to look at how much time you are willing to devote that?
    How about a youth group?
    Old folks home?
    It would get you some good experience too
    if ur lookin to do sumthin onm a weekly basis then try ur local brownies, they're fun and dead sweet to be around and meet once a week not on a week end:)
    Ask your friends or other people that you know whether they know of places which do volunteering schemes near you. Find out about millenium volunteers too.:)
    try using a search engine:D :D
    god blagher ur a shit load of help
    depends what sort of volunteer work you're looking for....you could take charity collecting boxes around, or help charity shops sort their stuff out, things like that....
    Loadsa good ideas on www.do-it.org.uk - have a browse around.
    Try:
    Millennium Volunteers

If you are an able reader then http://www.vrh.org.uk enables you to help young children you have difficulty reading. I have just registered for this one!
    A number of options, such as i-c-i or whatever it is called, completely rip people off.

I have been a volunteer in an orphanage in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. I did it through the International Voluntary Service. It is cheap, very worthwhile and there are a large number of options to chose from (including working with disabled or orphaned children, the environment and refuges) in a vast range of countries - from Britain and the US to Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan.

If you need any info about my experience, just ask. :)
    Originally posted by xapis
    depends what sort of volunteer work you're looking for....you could take charity collecting boxes around, or help charity shops sort their stuff out, things like that....

My mother did this once for a charity going door to door collecting donations - she'd never do it again - she had people hurl all sort of abuse at her.

I think it's essential you do something you enjoy, and it doesn't hurt to think in the back of your mind that it may also be something good to put on your CV - that should not be a primary reason for doing charity work but it's a consideration.

Doing things for local theatre might be a good idea, they always need peole behind the scenes, could be fun too.
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    A number of options, such as i-c-i or whatever it is called, completely rip people off.

I have been a volunteer in an orphanage in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. I did it through the International Voluntary Service. It is cheap, very worthwhile and there are a large number of options to chose from (including working with disabled or orphaned children, the environment and refuges) in a vast range of countries - from Britain and the US to Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan.

If you need any info about my experience, just ask. :)

Is that one of those organisations where you have to pay for your own flights to get to where you want to help people?

I know a girl that went with an organsation to south america for about 6 months I think - but she had to pay her own way there and back. I'm not knocking it but it - but it kind of sounds like adding insult to injury - i.e. she's prepared to give up wages and earnings for 6 months but on top of that she's got to pay them to take her there? I was surprised airlines for instance weren't providing seats for free for such a good cause.
    in bristol you could try
    BDP (Bristol Drugs Project) http://beehive.thisisbristol.com/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=4737
    there is also a complementary health based cancer centre that might be worth exploring