Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Question for the anti-war bods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im just wondering what your ideal scenario would be with regard to the Iraq situation.

As of today, what would you like to see happen?

There are a number of things that could happen with this war.

We could win the war, depose Saddam and allow the Iraqis to rule themselves in some mannner with the UN supervising or running..

We could win the war, depose Saddam and setup a coalition interim leader to administrate the country.

We could lose the war at the cost of thousands of our own troops, hundreds of thousands of their troops and god knows how many civilians..We then leave the country in a terrible mess and ignore it.

We could pull all our troops out right now and leave Iraq the way it is with saddam in power and set a dangerous precedent with the arab world.

If none of these apply, which they probably wont, please tell me your ideal scenarios...

Im very interested in what everyone thinks should be done...I asked a couple of protesters what they wanted to happen and they couldnt give me an answer beyond stopping the war.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm anti-war and would have preferred to see a diplomatic solution instead of a conflict.
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I'm anti-war and would have preferred to see a diplomatic solution instead of a conflict.

Thats all very nice but doesnt answer the question..

Solutions to the problem, not comments on the past. What would you like to see happen today.
    Re: Question for the anti-war bods
    Originally posted by Balddog

There are a number of things that could happen with this war.

We could win the war, depose Saddam and allow the Iraqis to rule themselves in some mannner with the UN supervising or running..

i'm afraid bush has put paid to that one. the ammount of contracts now given out to bush's cronies and his dismissal of tony blairs united nations ideas and the administrations admission that america is going to run the show full stop is what we all expected anyway. what i would like to see
    i'm now unsure. what i think i'm going to see is hatred on a scvale never ...never before known. chaos. america and the uk have a dramatic falling out which will have massive repercussions around the world. america being driven out of the middle east in utter humiliation.
    tony blair i feel sure, is now waking up to the fact that he's been had big style by bush. but he's in to deep to see a way out at the moment. america are sending more troops and equipment into the trap. they might ...might win the battle but there is no way they are going to win the war or the peace. the humiliation and disgrace of the last super power is now unfolding. again with massive repercussions for the world.
    remeber you read it here first ...

Thats all very nice but doesnt answer the question..

Solutions to the problem, not comments on the past. What would you like to see happen today.

What truly is the problem?

As far as I see it, Saddam broke a peace treaty after the first Gulf War. Bush and Blair now feel that Saddam must be removed so the Iraqi people cannot suffer under him any further.

If I were Bush or Blair I would simply demand he disarm (if he possesses any chemical/biological/nuclear weapons) and seek a diplomatic solution.
    Unfortunately it looks like winning the war won't come without a 'battle of Baghdad’, which would most probably result in carnage of biblical proportions. Allies 'losing' the war would also mean horrible loses on all sides.

I guess at this point in time I'd like to see an immediate ceasefire. Allied troops can stay where they are (which is most of the country) while negotiations take place. Perhaps now the only face-saving option for all concerned would be Saddam and his men leaving the country immediately, with Allied troops also leaving at the same time. UN peace-keeping forces and massive humanitarian aid to be let in at the same time whilst an interim government- run by the Iraqis themselves- prepares the ground for elections.

edited for grammar...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    - run by the Iraqis themselves- prepares the ground for elections.
    no way will america ever alow the iraqis to have free and fair elections. especialy with such massive hatred growing by the day in the entire arab world against all things american. no way. they may alow them to have american style elections though.
    Originally posted by monocrat
    If I were Bush or Blair I would simply demand he disarm (if he possesses any chemical/biological/nuclear weapons) and seek a diplomatic solution.

D'oh. You do know what happened in November, don't you?

If not, let me explain. Bush and Blair demanded that Saddm disarm. Going through the UN, they attempted a diplomatic solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer Balddog's question, apparently only being the second to do so, I would like to see Saddam flee and the fighting to stop.

The US/UK to maintain security whilst the UN takes a role in putting steps in place for a new Govt, with free election. I'd like to see oil contracts reviewed, re-building contracts offered to those who openly supported the removal of Saddam and those countries who have supplied arms to Iraq since 1991 to be named and shamed - even if the UK is one of them.
    Of course the question of whether he was disarming is questionable. An awful lot of people, including the UN inspectors, believe he was. To launch a war while someone is in the process of complying with your demands is a bit like a traffic warden coming to you and saying "excuse me sir you'll have to move your car". You say, albeit unhappily, "alright then, I'll move the car", and then you see the traffic warden issuing a fine just as you're moving the car as requested.

But then the more cynical of us believe a diplomatic solution was the very last thing on the minds of Bush and Blair.
    Re: Question for the anti-war bods
    Im just wondering what your ideal scenario would be with regard to the Iraq situation.

As of today, what would you like to see happen?
    What I should like to see happen is immaterial. The 'coalition' will almost certainly win the war, but they have just as certainly lost the peace. It's 'fear the worst, hope for the best' from here on in...
    Re: Re: Question for the anti-war bods
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe

What I should like to see happen is immaterial. The 'coalition' will almost certainly win the war,
    there are few certainties in war. i have a feeling we are going to loose. long term short term i have a feeling we are going to loose big style!
    Re: Re: Re: Question for the anti-war bods
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

there are few certainties in war. i have a feeling we are going to loose. long term short term i have a feeling we are going to loose big style!

i agree. by destroying their country, we are only aggrovating the iraqi's further. sending back the people that are trying to escape the battle zone? thats gonna make our forces really popular.

at the end of the day, when the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled, no matter how it ends, it just drives a wedge between the western world and the arab nations.

but to answer the question, in a perfect world, saddam would capitulate, then bush, and that growth on his ass called blair, would both resign in an attempt to save face for destoying a country needlessly, and the truth about saddam and his toys would be aired.
    We have started so we must finish, carry on the war until it is won.

The post-war is the more difficult.

I think it is vital that the UN be the organisation that deals with Iraq after the war, both with infrastructure, a new regime and the security.

Contracts should not go to western companies, they should be run by Iraqis and rebuilding should be done for very little cost to the Iraqi people, they should not be crippled by debt.

Furthermore I would like to see the extension of this amazing new sympathy for the opressed people of the world. Our govts should extenc the ethical policy, fewer arms sales, more ais and pressure on human rights offenders.

The rest of the middle-east needs sorting out, particularly Israel/palestine........
    We could win the war, depose Saddam and setup a coalition interim leader to administrate the country.

That's the solution I want. I don't want the UN involved. I don't want Europe's freeloaders making a cent off of business deals with the new Iraqi government. Also, fighting between groups could happen. And the UN would just sit there and let genocide against Muslime or others happen like it always does. Or have a Belguim troop put in that runs from the genocide like they did in Africa.

The new Iraq will be a role model for the Arab World...that for the most part can't get it together in terms of being tolerant or just running a country that doesn't benefit a few people.

Having said all that: I hate war. The UN and NATO are useless.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

That's the solution I want. I don't want the UN involved. I don't want Europe's freeloaders making a cent off of business deals with the new Iraqi government. Also, fighting between groups could happen. And the UN would just sit there and let genocide against Muslime or others happen like it always does.

Substitute 'UN' with 'US' and 'Europe's freeloaders' with 'American corporations' and you hit the nail right on the head.
    Indeed. Seems our young friend is still chirping the same tune spun by Washington to justify creating further chaos in the region. "Coalition interim leader" is little more than a catch phrase for imperial governor.

Liberation??? This is the most transparent conquest one could witness. Well, perhaps not my countrymen who are only shown whatever sanitised information Washington wishes them to see.

The new Iraq will be a role model for the Arab World...that for the most part can't get it together in terms of being tolerant or just running a country that doesn't benefit a few people.

Saying Arabs are inferior? :confused:

Which country do you think has a more tolerant legal system?

USA or Belgium?
    Or tolerance across the board for that matter Toad.
    Indeed

Interesting article in the paper about homosexual sex being illegal in many US states..........

That's the solution I want. I don't want the UN involved. I don't want Europe's freeloaders making a cent off of business deals with the new Iraqi government. Also, fighting between groups could happen. And the UN would just sit there and let genocide against Muslime or others happen like it always does. Or have a Belguim troop put in that runs from the genocide like they did in Africa.

Having said all that: I hate war. The UN and NATO are useless.
    this is breath taking! how's your uncle cheney?
    Or Uncle Rummy or Uncle Perle?