Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Iraqi soldiers operate from a hospital.

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If I haven't commented is because these are unconfirmed initial reports just in, and so far we've only heard that 1,000 people were shot at as they did a runner. There are no reports of casualties yet although if the reports are true there will sadly be a number of killed civilians.

So blithe a dismissal.

So quick to condemn the US.

One country deliberately attempts to kill it's own citizens, and you question the legitimacy of the stories, and do not condemn them. The other makes no admission of breaking the "rules" and you condemn them, even though there is no proof that they are committing any atrocities in the first place.

Sometimes, you just support my arguement without realising, don't you.

Once again, the lessons learned from 1991 are forgotten by the anti-war protestors. Saddam is a war criminal, he just hasn't been tried for it yet. Unless you've forgotten the portrayal of POWs back then, and their torture...
    Just as those who armed him and supplied his means of committing those war crimes are war criminals by association. Be sure they are in your list of those to be dragged to the hague to MoK or dont point the finger at anyone else's inconsistencies.

As for killing one's own citizens they are numerous regimees current in America and Britain's graces who do just as much so how many wars do we fight if we are to prove that we really wish to bring liberation to the world? Shall we just engulf the world in renewed global conflict? would you feel secure then? :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Just as those who armed him and supplied his means of committing those war crimes are war criminals by association.

Just as United Airlines are guilty of murdering 3,000 people in NYC? Or at least guilty by association...
    As for killing one's own citizens they are numerous regimees current in America and Britain's graces who do just as much so how many wars do we fight if we are to prove that we really wish to bring liberation to the world? Shall we just engulf the world in renewed global conflict? would you feel secure then? :rolleyes:

I'm impressed. You managed to condemn the US again, without mentioning Saddism's crimes.

Classic.
    Actually MoK, if you care to look through my posts you will see that I criticise Saddam and the Iraqi regime very often indeed. My previous remark was made at pnj's apparent suggestion that I would refuse to comment on an Iraqi atrocity such as shooting their own, unarmed people.
    You have a singularly increasing capacity for making inane remarks MoK, you truly must glory in war.

American Airlines did not willingly recruit Al Qaeda operatives to fly on their planes or take control of them. The US/UK govt's DID actively recruit Saddam to fight their dirty war against Iran so once again, bad comparison and even more flawed logic.

Saddam;s crimes are no worse than many other regimes that are still enjoying US/UK support. Given that this whole issue was supposed to be about disarming Saddam of WMDs you seem to have completely fallen for the spin and to have forgotten just how craftily the issue was systematically blurred as each claim of our respective administrations was shown to be unconvincing. Now you fly to the last refuge of justification on moral grounds and yet even there you refuse to follow through consistently to the ultimate conclusion of such.

Meanwhile those who have systematically opposed this invasion on the grounds of what Bush and co really were intending this to be about and more importantly what is was to be for, have point by point been vindicated. But you and those like you will gladly turn a blind eye to those lies and hypocrisies.

I will truly be interested to see what you have to say when all the expectations of the aftermath for wonderful western styled democracy and freedom also fail to come to pass.
    Saddam;s crimes are no worse than many other regimes that are still enjoying US/UK support

'Ere can you please post a list of regimes that are enjoying US/UK support?. I'm interested and would like to find out more if possible could you highlight the ones being supported by the UK? (I'm Brittish)

Cheers
    The term 'supporting' is of course very broad. But if we include countries that we have sold weapons to, welcomed heads of state from or signed lucrative deals with the list gives cause for concern. China, Indonesia, Israel or Saudi Arabia to name but 4...
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Just as those who armed him and supplied his means of committing those war crimes are war criminals by association.

That would be France and Russian, in the last decade, right?

How do you deal with Russians currently in Baghdad to instruct the Iraqi's as how to use the electronic warfare devices that have recently been deployed to them? Pat them on the back because they support resistence to the US, even though it means empowering Hussein?

If Satan himself got a hard-on concerning the US, you would genuflect at his feet...
    The term 'supporting' is of course very broad. But if we include countries that we have sold weapons to, welcomed heads of state from or signed lucrative deals with the list gives cause for concern. China, Indonesia, Israel or Saudi Arabia to name but 4...

Any approximate dates for any of these? and why weren't they raised in the media much/at all/ where they raised in the media at all?.

Welcoming heads of state doesn't really count as supporting imho :P

Is china really a regime? peopls republic my arse!

Anyone know of anymore?
    Indonesia, Israel and Saudi have all purchased weapons and military parts from Britain within the last 3 years. Acquisitions include Hawk jets and spares for F16s. They have probably done so for much longer than that, but it has been highlighted in the press after the much-trumpeted 'ethical arms sales' policy was announced by the then new Labour government.

The Chinese leader was given the red carpet treatment in London about two years ago, and commercial enterprises between Britain and China are flourishing.
    Perhaps we should not be selling weapons to any other country but why do you highlight Saudi Arabia? Is it a regime I thought it was a monarchy that was slowly drifting towards democracy In 1992 King Fahd decreed a new constitution, among its features were an appointed national council (est. 1993)
    Amnesty International describes Saudi Arabia's treatment of women, particularly foreign domestic workers, as "untenable" by any legal or moral standard.
    I think I would want missiles etc if I had Saddam right next door too....
    The Chinese leader was given the red carpet treatment in London about two years ago, and commercial enterprises between Britain and China are flourishing
    Dont know that much about China/Taiwan situation but this doesn't seem that bad to me.. (further enlighenment requiered)
    Indonesia/Israel is more worrying though...
    Saudi Arabia is not drifting toward democracy. You can sure that the Saudi regime is amongst the most repressive in the region, along with that of Egypt, Djibouti, and to lesser degrees even Jordan and Kuwait. Some of more effective at keeping their repressions quiet than are others amongst their number, but they all enjoy unbroken Western financing and military support.

Ill try to get a more comprehensive list of current repressive regimes during the week when i can make some enquiries amongst colleagues.
    Originally posted by DB56K

Dont know that much about China/Taiwan situation but this doesn't seem that bad to me.. (further enlighenment requiered)

It is one of the largest military standoffs in the world, each side has huge amounts of weaponry pointed at each other.

Furthermore China is well known for its human rights abuses, of dissident groups, seperatists and those they have subjugated such as the Tibetans......