Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I never thought this would happen (sarcasm)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/dailybriefing/story/0,12965,924728,00.html

The economic conquest has begun, US firm given contract to run Iraqi port.

They move quickly don't they!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Will the bill be presented to Iraq or will the US/UK be covering it? :)
    It's all getting murkier and murkier (or rather, clearer and clearer) about the hidden interests, behind-the-scenes deals, commercial interests and so on behind this war.

So far we've heard American companies have been awarded the bulk of contracts for the reconstruction of Iraq. Best of all, most of it will have to be paid not by those who bombed the country but by Iraq itself.

I'm sure Cheney being ex-director of at least one of the companies chosen has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the awarding of the contract to the said company.
    I hope the UK and American companies do get all the contracts. As far as using Iraqi oil to rebuild...is that any worst then Saddam giving lucrative contracts to the French, Russians and Germans and then instead of giving his people food for the oil money...building elaborate palaces for himself and his thugs?

What struck me with the embedded reporters is that the country is so poor...except for King Saddam. Why aren't liberals angry about Saddam's torture and the country's that enabled him?

1 more thing. all the firms being selected have to go through a security clearance.
    One of the countries that enabled him is your own pnj. Are you angry about it?
    Although Toadborg I have no doubt there's lot's of reasons for war...including profit.
    Well, you know Aladdin Iran was run even more so by radicals back then. So we used Saddam to fight people who had taken our people hostage. To me, that was the start to what led up to 911. Weak Carter should have bombed the shit out of Iran.

Like Bin Laden said to the Iraqi people: just hit America hard and they will run. They can't stand to see a lot of casualties.

I appreciate where you and toadborg are coming from.
    I would like to clear up a misconception with relevance to the shape of post war Iraq:

There seems to be a common belief that Iraq is a very unequal society (which it is) and that this is a bad thing.

Well I have some bad news. The post-Saddam iraq is likely to be more unequal than it is now. The US (and largely UK) belief is in free-market capitalism that inevitably leads to huge inequalities. The Washington consensus will be enforced, the public utilities will be privatised and the Iraqi govt will bow to the whim of the MNC's just like every other developing nation.

The profits of Iraqi goods will flow to the west as will the raw materials which we will sell back at a huge mark-up.

There will be poverty and starvation and people will be poor not becasue of their tyrannical leader but because of the forces of global capitalism..........
    And the puppet regime that will be installed and the pampered exiles currently salivating at their forthcoming jackpot will account for most of the wealth generated. Nothing new there...
    Until the factions that make up Iraq get fed up being ruled by foreign imposed lackies and stage yet another coup as has been the way in that land for millenia.

How any warmongers can think that this is anything less than a full blown conquest (liberation my *bleep"!) only demonstrates that they must not have much of a grasp on reality.
    Pampered exiles?

They went to little Baghdad in Deerborne Michigan. The news went to a mosque and asked the men what they thought of Saddam and the war. They asked for a show of hands as to who thinks it would be good if he were gone. Instead of raising their hands, many raised their shirts to show the scars from where they were tortured by Saddam's thugs. They weren't really scars. They looked like dimples where someone had carved out skin and flesh and muscle. Others yelled out and grown men started to cry about the wives, children and friends he killed.

The enablers kept Saddam in power for 12 more years. They were all "liberals."

I'm against war too though...but not at any cost.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    How any warmongers can think that this is anything less than a full blown conquest (liberation my *bleep"!) only demonstrates that they must not have much of a grasp on reality.

More insults. :rolleyes:
    I'm not talking about ordinary Iraqi refugees pnj, who I'm sure can't wait to get Saddam removed, and rightly so. I'm talking about the "shadow Iraqi government" who have run ads in the press, publicly proclaimed themselves as the new Iraqi government in-waiting and colluded nicely with Washington for quite a few months now about their role in a post-Saddam Iraq. These are the kind of people who stand to make an absolute fortune while the rest of the population will receive few rewards from the oil revenues.
    I'm talking about the "shadow Iraqi government"

Bush is duking it out with them now. Would you like me to try to find the link about the fight. It basically said that Bush & Co. told the exiles that they do not have he right to create a government. The new government will be comprised of all of the ethnic groups in Iraq.
    Good.