Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Saddam's final vengence?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday, Americans found chemical suits in a school in Southern Iraq. Today, the British have found more. Is Saddam's final vengence going to be against the Shiite's in the South?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or is Saddam just worried that the Allies are going to use chemical weapons on him?
    I was wondering if he was going to take it out on the Shiite Muslims....the finds made me think of what he did to the Kurds.

I don't think the Coalition would use them because they want to win the population over. But Saddam has a history of getting his enemies back.
    Far more worried about him using it on our troops...I dont see him using them on iraqis specifically...If he did so then they would almost certainly rise up en masse.
    I'm more concerned with the safety of the troops too. I don't want world politics to enter into how much protection they get in terms of air power. We owe them that.
    Er... you owe as much if not more to the civilians being caught in this. Remember that regardless of the benefits that removing Saddam might have, the Iraqis haven't asked you to liberate them, nor do many of them appear to be so happy about this war.

Soldiers sign up fully aware of the dangers and risks the profession carries. If you are invading and bombing a sovereign nation the very least you can do is ensure that civilian casualties are kept to a minimum. There is absolutely no question of doing indiscriminate bombing that would cause the death of thousands of civilians in order to save a couple dozen soldiers' lives.
    When I heard the average age of the soldiers was 25 I thought that's getting up there. But they look so young. I think the bombs are pretty accurate. That's why I didn't buy into the market propoganda. It also looked like a Saddam stunt. And the civilians know they are in a war zone. Most have left Baghdad. Since the soldiers are there to help the over-all country, the civilians need to get out of the way or take their chances. We can't have the soldiers taking chances - especially with a nut job (He's not a Muslim to me.) who is having his troops dress up like civilians. And some of his troops were taken away from their parents at an early age and brought up to view him as some kinda savior.
    The majority of people have not left Baghdad... they are still there. Where do you expect them to go anyway?

You would have thought that doing the grocery shopping in a residential area in broad daylight is being 'out of the way' wouldn't you?

And missiles do go astray. The technology is not infallible. Only a few days ago at least one fell inside Turkish soil due to a fault.
    During a roadside rest Tuesday, an Iraqi man and two youths passed refueling U.S. forces, then returned for another look. Previously, Americans had written off gawkers as merely curious. Now they question them closely.

In this instance, the older man and two youths were driving an old car distinguished only by two boxes of tomatoes in the trunk. The older man said he was a farmer driving to town to pick up his family and return them to the countryside. But questioning by Marine interrogators revealed discrepancies in the three men's stories. The older man, who claimed to be a farmer, was well dressed, wearing an expensive watch; his hands were soft, not hardened like a farmer's. ''He's lying,'' one Marine interrogator concluded. It wasn't known what happened to the three.

See, they're taking a chance by staying in a war zone...especially with Saddam dressing soldiers like civilians.
    The whole of Iraq is a warzone, you can't blame civillians for wanting to stay near there homes, what kind of logic is that?
    Aladdin, this is what has to happen in Baghdad. It's also happening in Basara. spelling? The civilians have to get out of the way and out of cities where Saddam could be aiming chemical weapons.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12276649,00.html

An article on Yahoo news said: Many of Baghdad's residents have left to escape the blitz of bombs and cruise missiles, anxious to get away before any ground battle for the city begins.

that's what they should do. Maybe ones staying behind worked for Saddam regime in some way.
    Have you given any thought to what you're saying?

Two million people leaving their homes and walking into the desert? Then what? Plant a tent? What will they eat? What will they drink? How long before they are all dead from exposure or dehydration?

Perhaps you don't like people staying because it goes to show that your country and Britain have invaded and are bombing a sovereign nation uninvited and illegally. Perhaps you are disappointed that civilians haven't received you with their arms open. Perhaps it annoys you that people are trying to carry on with their lives in their city, going to work every morning and returning to their homes every evening despite the constant bombing that precludes their 'liberation'.

I'm not saying that UK and UK forces will rot in hell for the vile crime of bombing a market by mistake. Tragedies like this happen. But to suggest the Iraqis only have themselves to blame for not abandoning everything they have and move to the desert so the carpet bombing can be done effectively is simply breathtaking.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Or is Saddam just worried that the Allies are going to use chemical weapons on him?

Please tell me that you don't really believe that...

Oh, PNJ, there are 300,000 chemical suits in Iraq being carried by US/UK forces. Does this mean that they are going to use Chemical Weaponry? This is NOT evidence...
    MOK....I have no doubt he was the WOM. Saddam is one sick guy.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Please tell me that you don't really believe that...

I don't really but, but we have been told many times that Saddam is a deluded nutcase sheltered form reality by his yes men haven't we?

Who knows what he believes hey?