Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The future of drug law?

It would sure be nice to be rid of the oppressive drug laws that we have in this country but out and out getting rid of them would just be dangerous in my view.

If you could wave your magic wand and not worry about the international complecations that would come from any relaxing of the drug laws what would you do?

Personaly I'd like to see a full legalisation of cannabis, not the half assed approach that the Dutch have done, it has to be taxed and regulated like boose is. Granted there will always be a black market but it will make an improvement.
The police should however still have the powers to take puff away from you if your smoking in places where you shouldnt, like near schools etc.
As for MDMA, pills too should be legalised but sold on a restricted basis, quality control could be implemented and because of the competition the black market quality would go up too.

The money from these changes should be plowed back into treatment centers for those who need it, residential places where people could be helped off heroin, crack etc and then they would be helped back into society and given help getting a job etc.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nathan Luno has written a detailed and quite internesting alternitive to the aspects of drug legalisation.

http://www.thedea.org/thealternative.html

It's an interesting read.
    Originally posted by addyh
    Nathan Luno has written a detailed and quite internesting alternitive to the aspects of drug legalisation.

http://www.thedea.org/thealternative.html

It's an interesting read.

Good link there...its quite an interesting read! ;)
    Sounds like a lot of money up front for governments, which as we all know they are never that keen on. It sounds a good idea though.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Sounds like a lot of money up front for governments, which as we all know they are never that keen on. It sounds a good idea though.

I think that they would make a hell of a lot more back from taxes though.
    They would make a fortune but the problem would be the temptation tax it too much would be very high and that would cause a black market.
    If its going to be done it should be operated by a public company with profits rather than taxes going to the government. A bit like BT used to be, or the post office would be if it wasnt crap.
    I don't think the prices of drugs would go up as the gorerment wouldn't buy the drugs of the local street dealer.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    They would make a fortune but the problem would be the temptation tax it too much would be very high and that would cause a black market.
    If its going to be done it should be operated by a public company with profits rather than taxes going to the government. A bit like BT used to be, or the post office would be if it wasnt crap.

Very true...but I still believe the government should get some money from these products as they could plough it back into researching how drugs could be made safer and still enjoyable (wrong word, maybe);)