Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teachers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone here a teacher or training to be one?

I did my degree in June and still haven't got the design job I want. I'm now considering teaching, I'd quite like to be an art & design teacher. I know I'll prob have to go back to uni, but does anyone know exactly what I'd have to do? And do the government pay for your fees like they do for nurses? Cos otherwise I don't think I could afford to go back to uni.

It's just an idea at the moment, but I want to look into it incase I did decide to go back to Uni in Sept.

Any help would be fab :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thankyou hun :D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im training to be a teacher. im doing a BEd in primary teaching and it is such a good course. im doing it at moray house, edinburgh uni. placement is fab and it is a worthwhile career. if you've done a degree already then you can do a PGCE which is the postgrad 1 year course. in scotland cos they are crying out for teachers they pay off your tuition fees and student loan as long as you are in the profession for at least your 1 year probabtion. sorry ... but i dont know how it works if you are in the english system as it differs to the scottish one.

littlemissy x
    on the site it says that 'eligible' students can recieve the money! So that'll be the single parent families earning peanuts and no one else, as always :rolleyes: I don't think I can afford it if they don't give me money, cos i'm already so much in debt from my degree :(
    Originally posted by Faith
    on the site it says that 'eligible' students can recieve the money! So that'll be the single parent families earning peanuts and no one else, as always :rolleyes: I don't think I can afford it if they don't give me money, cos i'm already so much in debt from my degree :(

You can apply anyway...and find out if it'll be expensive for you.

You may fund other sources of funding.

Good luck :)
    I'm getting a brochure sent to me, so I'll see what it says. I'll let ya know! Thanks :)
    Someone I know trained to be an art and design teacher and she can't get a job - apparently that is one subject that is heavily over subscribed as far as teachers go.

I also think that you wanting to be a teacher because you can't find a job you really want is a bit worrying.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I also think that you wanting to be a teacher because you can't find a job you really want is a bit worrying.

maybe but surely it's better to try something else rather than sitting on my arse waiting for my ideal job to come along? I admit it's not what i really want to do, but I've been looking for the job I want for 10 months now, have to try something else dont i?! :rolleyes:

maybe but surely it's better to try something else rather than sitting on my arse waiting for my ideal job to come along? I admit it's not what i really want to do, but I've been looking for the job I want for 10 months now, have to try something else dont i?! :rolleyes:

I think the only people who should be allowed to teach are those who actually want to, an have a passion for the job, Your disinterest may make you a pretty feeble teacher, and there are alreay enough of those about.

Why don't you just work in a shop like countless other people who have degrees but can't get their "ideal job"?
    Because I dont want to work in a shop! I didn't say I'm going to be a teacher even though I dont really want to do it, I said i'm thinking about it as another option. It has actually always been my 2nd choice of career, and it is something that I do *want* to do. If the only people who were 'allowed' to teach were those who desperately wanted to do that and nothing else, there wouldn't be many teachers would there?

Anyway, I wanted advice from people who could help, not people wingeing.
    I say you should go for it Faith, providing the money situation is ok. Theres worse jobs you can do than become a teacher, and like you said if only people who really really wanted to become teachers did, then there wouldnt be many teachers. Go for it if thats what you want! (even if it is your 2nd choice)!
    I admit it's not what i really want to do:
    and it is something that I do *want* to do
    Which is it? Do you want to do it or not? :confused:
    You get fees paid and a grant of about 8000. Some subjects that are understaffed get "golden hello" payments. It's all on the website somewhere.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Which is it? Do you want to do it or not? :confused:

In the ideal world I would have a job as a Graphic Designer, earning lots of money and being really happy with it. But things don't go to plan do they? I'm not settling for a shop job, cos personally I couldn't stand the thought of doing that for the rest of my life. A teacher isn't my ideal job, and unlike being a designer it's not something that I've always wanted to do, but it is still something that I'd like to find out about.

Sorry for considering other options, I'll just go on the dole :rolleyes: