Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The world according to Murdoch.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can see the validity of laws in the US that limit ownership of broadcast networks, newspapers and magazines. This past week, I noticed that both the NY Post and the UK Sun used the same word in the headline of their lead story, "Savages" and led with the same story: Iraqis parading dead and alive US POWs. Saddam's gang are sick people. And anyone -whether in Palestine or the West - who supports Saddam in any way is sick too. But I thought, of all the words in English, what are the chances that two newspapers in two different countries using the same word about the same subject? In my own country, I've witnessed the rise of the Fox Network. I feel it has really influenced public opinion in America because Americans are used to somewhat balanced journalism...at least from the broadcasters. Fox has become so popular by picking out enemies of America and ranting about them coupled with accurate news stories. It's a deadly combo. For example, everyone on here knows I'm against Palestinian bombers. I think it's sick to rejoice that God is going to embrace your child being a suicide bomber. But the Fox Network was the first one to label any Palestinian act of definance - all of them - as a terrorist attack. I don't like that either. Bill O'Reilly (spelling?) is very outspoken...recently leading calls for a boycott of French goods. The results? He's so popular all of his competition on other cable networks have been fired in favor of a conservative voice...which is being sold as pro-American. For those who know the US, people fired include Phil Donahue and recently Connie Chung. These are liberal heavy weights and to be honest their shows weren't as popular. Also Bill O-Reilly's new book is in the top 10 on the NY Times best sellers list.

It's the world according to Murdoch...where if you don't totally support the Bush Doctrine, diplomacy is out...hit first or they'll get you...then you're just not a good American. Should I dare email Bill O'Reilly that France has by far given us more intelligence regarding Al Qaeda threats and operatives than any other country? I dared alright. But I'm only 16. I'll let you know if I get a response from Bill O'Reilly...or the FBI.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All 44 major newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch- all of them- have been decisively pro-war, even 3 or 4 months ago when there was still good diplomatic activity and the inspectors had just arrived in Iraq.

No doubt it's just a coincidence. :rolleyes:
    of course its just a coincidence. as if murdoch would try and manipulate public opinion to suit his own ends!!

The man is a true upholder of the idea of freedom of the press -
    free to write what he wants his readership to believe that is.

You can only hope some of his readers/viewers actually have the ability to form their own opinions......
    Originally posted by JonBoi
    You can only hope some of his readers/viewers actually have the ability to form their own opinions......

They do... when they're asked by The S*n to vote for their favourite Page 3 girl
    Funny Aladdin. Sadly, I think in America it's associated with being pro-American. Being liberal or against the war is being unAmerican. In some ways, this is the peace movement's fault when they make anti-American statements. They need to think more and make it against war or against some politicians, Bush, in the American government. Sometimes their rants are too broad and it's a turn off.
    Surely being against your president has nothing to do with being pro-America?

I get the feeling people put too much relevance in the position of President- if you take my drift. President Bush, as well as Prime Minister Tony Blair are our employees. We pay them to represent and run our country- they're no mystical figure above everybody else.

If some people believe Bush is doing a bad job then they have every right to call him incompetent and/or ask him to go. Such people are as patriotic, if not more, than those who are willing to agree with everything the President does on principle. For the critics are checking on the performance on the man who is representing their country and demanding high standards at all levels.
    I agree with that Aladdin. Hatred is a difficult thing to sustain. So I'm not sure how long even the war on terrorism can go on....unless Al Qaeda strikes again. Oddly, if Al Qaeda does attack within the US again, they could be starting their own demise.

I posted a link to the Bush Doctrine. If you have the time, you'll find it enlightening regarding fear-driven policies.