Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Politics spread to eBay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From today's Mirror:

"THE blinkered American war boycotts have begun, after a US company refused to honour a bid on eBay because it came from Canada.

The customer David Ingram placed the winning bid of $24.50 for a laser printer, offered by computer retailer CompAtlanta. But petty CompAtlanta cancelled the order when it found out Ingram was from Vancouver. They said: "At the present time we will not honour bids from Canada, Mexico, France, Germany or any other country that does not support the United States in our efforts to rid the world of Saddam Hussein." "

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ebay sellers can refuse to sell to whomever they like. Its no different to the boycotts against American companies or the boycotts against Israel, or even against apartheid south Africa...

People are allowed to show their disapproval via their wallets.
    People are also allowed to send feedback to CompAtlanta, as their own website encourages visitors to do. I am sending mine right now. :)

It's people like this that give Americans a bad name everywhere. Of course it hasn't occurred to these "patriots" that Mr Ingram or other potential buyers could be flat-out supporters of the war on Iraq and the US government's actions. Better to be safe and ban everybody from Canada, Germany, etc etc from buying their products.

Pathetic in the extreme.
    a litte off topic but 25 dollars for a laser printer??holy crap thats good :D
    I know, I was thinking that all publicity is good publicity and they'll be getting shit lots of traffic (and orders) in the next few days...

Mind you, if they were to receive hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of orders from France, Germany, etc, I somehow think their "patriotic" ban would dissapear rather quickly.
    Wow, this is so stupid. France has given the US more information than any other country on Al Qaeda-affiliated people and new plans for attack.

And Canada made radical changes to their constitution to meet US standards for immigration. The changes were not in keeping with Canada's "personality". We also signed a new treaty with Canada that if Canada is attacked by a terrorist army, like what happened in Moscow....the theater attack...the US must send in troops to Canada within a certain period of time which I forget.

Boycotts will eventually hurt everyone because we're all integated in each other's business and we're all each other's customers. So even if you hurt another country with a boycott, that would mean they have less to purchase your junk.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

Boycotts will eventually hurt everyone because we're all integated in each other's business and we're all each other's customers. So even if you hurt another country with a boycott, that would mean they have less to purchase your junk.

I'm glad you think that way.