Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What about having Iran join in the war?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Iran is already urging a Shiite Iraqi group to rise up against Saddam. What about having Iran attack Baghadad with us?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=574&ncid=574&e=2&u=/nm/20030326/wl_nm/iraq_basra_dc_8

I know the Kurds and Western Iraq are Sunni.

Comments

• Options
    Read the article again pnj. It was merely reported in Tehran, no Iranian encouragement for uprising was mentioned. Also I doubt highly that Iran would willingly help our forces given the knowledge that Bush's hawks want to invade them next.
  • Options
    Might be right. This topic headline was from my book: how I ended the world by getting everyone to fight.:D

Iranians did stop a suicide bomber headed for our ships in a speed boat loaded with explosives.
  • Options
    Considering that Iran hates Iraq that is hardly surprising.
  • Options
    and considering Iran still hates the US, its hardly a likely scenario that Iran would suddenly become our brothers in arms.

A likely scenario - after we rid Iraq of Saddam and the Republican Guard and go home, Iran invades, taking over Iraq and guess, what, the US and the UK are back in Iraq once again.
  • Options
    Ive been thinking that to myself for quite some time now. Although given that this isnt a liberation but rather a conquest complete with the eventual appointment of Tommy Franks as interim governor and an eventual puppet regime which will certainly require the maintenance of US/UK forces to keep it propped up, that scenario is rather unlikely. Plausible but unlikely.

Btw DM, I just noticed that youre from Boston. Im originally from MetroWest myself (precise location withheld).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Ive been thinking that to myself for quite some time now. Although given that this isnt a liberation but rather a conquest complete with the eventual appointment of Tommy Franks as interim governor and an eventual puppet regime which will certainly require the maintenance of US/UK forces to keep it propped up, that scenario is rather unlikely. Plausible but unlikely.

Btw DM, I just noticed that youre from Boston. Im originally from MetroWest myself (precise location withheld).

Im being optimistic perhaps but I hope US UK involvement is minimal and there only until an Iraqi government can be determined.

Yeah Boston here - did college in New Hampshire and God willing, I'll move back there as soon as possible!
  • Options
    The puppets have already been determined DM, be sure of that. But otherwise Id say you are being optimistic since those selected by the Bush admin are little more than pampered elitest exiles with no legitimate constituency in Iraq upon which to claim any true democratic mandate. Thus why this whole charade from start to finish is a conquest, not a liberation regardless of what the spin doctors tell you.

We'll have a force there by necessity for quite some time.

I actually miss the Autumn colours of New Hampshire, but definitely do not miss the Boston winters! Hardly ever snows in Brussels.
  • Options
    The Kurds have just contacted the Pentagon with their displeasure that they are not fighting to free Iraq. They want an active role in fighting with the Americans. They said it's not America's country...it's theirs. So some general is going to have them do some of the fighting with Americans somewhere in Iraq.
  • Options
    Given that some of those Kurds are the biggest appeasers of Al Qaeda on earth I'm surprised the Americans are even talking to them. Whatever happened to the war on terror and war on those who harbor them?
  • Options
    Just goes to show you how Bush has managed to not only screw up all the international solidarity we had going into the WoT wince he started pursuing this ill considered conquest, but how in doing so he has also managed to compromise the very principles on which the WoT was based.

He and his cronies have got to go before they can screw up our national integrity any further.
  • Options
    Given that some of those Kurds are the biggest appeasers of Al Qaeda on earth I'm surprised the Americans are even talking to them.

Even though the Al Qaeda group is in Kurd controlled Northern Iraq, they use that group as proof as Saddam's connection to Al Qaeda. One connection I do see is that a combatant from Afghanistan got medical treatment in Baghdad and then went to the Al Qaeda group in Northern Iraq, who had killed someone using ricin, and then got picked up in the UK with ricin. But. Now I wonder if... sure the guy was everywhere they say. But maybe he just slipped into Baghdad and into Northern Iraq and was affiliated with Al Qaeda...but not Saddam.