Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

15 killed in the bombing of a Baghdad market... and US news websites ignore it!

15 Iraqi civilians have been killed when two allied missiles missed their target and hit a busy market in a residential area.

Sadly this is one of the consequences of war... continuous bombing of cities will produce many civilian casualties however accurate these weapons are supposed to be. However what has shocked me the most is the following: it has come to my attention that the big American news corporations' websites such as CNN or CBS have ignored this. While European news websites such as the BBC, Sky or others have given this tragedy full front page status- and rightly so- most of the American news agencies are either ignoring it altogether or giving it a couple of lines at the bottom of a secondary page several clicks away- and then they want to give the impression that the Iraqis are lying or that the bombs didn’t come from the Allies. :mad:

With this kind of coverage... how much of a surprise can it be that so many Americans are behind the war? God knows what they are (and aren't) being told!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Very sad and disgusting that the US media arent covering it....

Im still anxiously waiting for some kind of official statement on what happened...I hate to think whats gonna happen if they were put off target by the GPS jammers.
    They could be lying. They are dressing their soldiers up like civilians. They are using hospitals as barracks for soldiers. They do have military facilities under or near mosques.

But if they aren't. War is horrible...there's lot's of mistakes and innocents die. I'm more concerned the Coalition isn't using enough bombs to protect the troops. If a country sends troops into war, protecting the troops comes first.
    Its all part of the propoganda, I wonder how may truths the Iraqi people are been fed ? And how many things they aren't been told ;)
    Aladdin what are you talking about? It's on the front page of Yahoo USA...the most popular search engine in America.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030326/ap_on_re_mi_ea/war_baghdad_38
    Originally posted by Balddog

I hate to think whats gonna happen if they were put off target by the GPS jammers.

Iraq's GPS jammers have been destroyed. According to the Pentagon, one was destroyed by a GPS guided missile.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    They could be lying. They are dressing their soldiers up like civilians. They are using hospitals as barracks for soldiers. They do have military facilities under or near mosques.

But if they aren't. War is horrible...there's lot's of mistakes and innocents die. I'm more concerned the Coalition isn't using enough bombs to protect the troops. If a country sends troops into war, protecting the troops comes first.

This isn't fabricated pnj. Here's Sky's report and the BBC's . I'm not saying that Iraqis would not try to play tricks of some sorts on the battlefield, but this is the result of the allied bombs that have gone off course and hit a residential street, as confirmed not only by the Iraqis but by independent journalists.

That the US news websites have chosen not to report it (as of 3:00 pm when I last checked) is nothing short of a disgrace, and should raise questions of the objectivity and accuracy of the information being fed to Americans by these corporations.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030326/ap_on_re_mi_ea/war_baghdad_38

Here you go Aladdin. Links to Yahoo. I've found that European/Asian news is found quicker on Sky. I don't know why.
    http://www.cnn.com/

At the time of this post there is no mention that I can easily find on the CNN homepage.........
    Found this at the bottom of one of their daily briefing columns:

"On Wednesday, Iraqi officials said U.S. munitions killed 15 Iraqi civilians at a popular market in Baghdad. CNN cannot independently verify Iraq's figures."

Something smells fishy..........
    Perhaps they are waiting for the facts, rather than claims made by the Iraqis and what journailists think alledgedly happened.
    Toadborg, it's on CNN World.

The lead on CNN USA is the troops fighting the Al Qaeda group in Northern Iraq.
    Aladdin what are you talking about? It's on the front page of Yahoo USA...the most popular search engine in America.

The link there is not the front page, just a news story. I clicked on the News Front Page link... and guess what. Not a trace of this little fuck-up.

I've just checked CNN again and there's still nothing to be seen. I think CBS is (finally) owning up to the story, as it is Fox which has given it a link on the front page. Still a pretty lousy coverage and a rather 'peculiar' concept of what should be headline news...

Edited to add: even when it gets reported, Fox takes care to include sneaky remarks from US army spokesmen saying "they cannot confirm the incident" or that they don't have any information that suggests the bombs were "theirs"...
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Still a pretty lousy coverage and a rather 'peculiar' concept of what should be headline news...

Why should it be headline news ? It should get coverage, but not neccessarily top billing.
    Only stories which will fuel the domestic propaganda machine will get headline coverage, Al. You should realise that by now!
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Only stories which will fuel the domestic propaganda machine will get headline coverage, Al. You should realise that by now!

Excatley ;) Its the same for everybody, always has been, always will be, nothing wrong with that.
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Iraq's GPS jammers have been destroyed. According to the Pentagon, one was destroyed by a GPS guided missile.

All of them? How many did they have?
    id be behind it regardless -civilian deaths are unfortunate but unavoidable.
    Originally posted by Balddog

How many did they have?

Six.
    Originally posted by ebb

Excatley ;) Its the same for everybody, always has been, always will be, nothing wrong with that.

There is in fact a lot wrong with that... unless you believe that if your country is in a war it has 'carte blanche' to do pretty much anything it wants and therefore the press shouldn't report any wrongdoings.
    Ive asked someone to check and its all over the news over there too.
    Originally posted by Aladdin

There is in fact a lot wrong with that... unless you believe that if your country is in a war it has 'carte blanche' to do pretty much anything it wants and therefore the press shouldn't report any wrongdoings.

True :)

Still, my point is propoganda is part of war, in fact part of life, I'm not going to start critising America or anyone else for using it.
    Don't worry ebb, ill criticise my government sufficiently over its lies and propaganda and lack of accountability and responsibility in world affairs for both of us. ;)
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Don't worry ebb, ill criticise my government sufficiently over its lies and propaganda and lack of accountability and responsibility in world affairs for both of us. ;)

:D

I'm not even sure what I'm talking about in this thread anymore :confused:

*Makes a sharp exit*
    That's American propaganda for you. It doesn't suprise me at all that they don't report civilian deaths to the full extent they should. Actually I have yet to see or hear any death tolls of civilians yet, not that we will ever know any true amounts.

Having digital tv is very interesting in that we have about 5 or 6 different news channels. Just the differing ways in which they word the war is incredibly revealing. MSNBC calls the war "Operation Iraqi freedom" over grahpics of the american flag whilst showing live footage of American soldiers cheering after destroying a building (I had never realised until then that freedom involved destroying people's homes and lives. How ignorant of me). ITV call it "War on Saddam", the BBC news "War in Iraq" and Sky news "War on Iraq" (may have the last two muddled). Just one word changes the entire meaning.

I'm more concerned the Coalition isn't using enough bombs to protect the troops. If a country sends troops into war, protecting the troops comes first.

I thought this was a war to offer liberation to the opressed Iraqi population? Surely the protection of civilian life comes first? Surely the protection of children comes first? Troops know one of the risks of their occupation is injury or death.
    Every morning Sky News posts a review of the front pages of British and American newspapers (down at the bottom of the page).

It's interesting (although sadly totally predictable) to see the different angle of the conflict covered by each newspaper.

Have a look at the US newspapers that are shown, and see if you can find a single reference to yesterday's bombing of the market in Baghdad (latest count 30+ killed).

edited to add: Credit where it's due. The Detroit Free Press does mention it on the front page.
    Looks like the skynews site takes issue with my net connection as well :( cant access cnn at all these days..Stupid websites...

Aladdin, This was all over the television news over there, I specifically asked people to check for me yesterday. I dont know how US papers work but wouldnt any talk of the market thing be on the front pages of one of yesterdays editions?

PS, if youre interested THIS SITE gives pictures of the front pages of 221 papers from around the world. Very cool site.
    Thanks for the link! Cool website indeed.
    Turns out Saddam did this to his own people. The thinking is it's part of his PR campaign and attempt to turn Iraqis against Americans. I believe this...especially since recently Saddam's new form of torture is to lower people feet first into industrial shredding machines while their families watch.
    Turns out Saddam did this to his own people.

And what evidence do you have to support this highly improbable and wild claim? Especially after US spokesmen have retracted their words and admitted allied forces were likely to be responsible for it. :rolleyes: