Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Charging peacemarchers as terrorists.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In of all places, Oregon, there's legislation before the state assembly...so this would only be a state law not valid throughout the US...some politicians are pushing a bill that would cause anyone who commits a violent act during a peacemarch to be charged with terrorism. It stems from a march where one person, out of I don't know how many, threw acid on a cop. Luckily for the cop, he had his face shield down. This person would be charged with terrorism under this new law. Now, you have to understand, this person already would be charged with a bunch of things including assalt...and I don't know the local laws but they could also be charged with assalting a policeman and more.

I'm against this law. I'm afraid that when coupled with new federal laws about terrorism...someone charged as a terrorist could just disappear without legal counsel. Also, what if I'm marching next to some dirt bag that throws acid on a cop? Do I get arrested as an accomplice? I'm not defending the very few people who are doing violent acts in these peace marches. But I am equally afraid we in the US are losing what we are fighting for.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I get the impression pnj that the word "terrorism" is the new talisman used by governments and individuals everywhere to get results.

Want to scare people into supporting your cause? Mention terrorism and they'll buy whatever you're selling. Law enforcement agencies wanting to subdue people? Threaten to charge them with terrorism charges and they'll shut up double time.

I heard the other day there were several arrests for trespassing at a peace demo. I believe it was in NYC, can't remember. Reportedly the peace protesters were doing nothing wrong and amongst the people arrested were 2 past Nobel Prize winners- hardly troublemakers then.
    In NYC there were 200,000, remember 200,000, peace marchers and only a handful did things that were out of line. Some sprayed cops in the face with mace. And some stayed in this park way past when the parade permit ended. It ended at 3:30 and some wouldn't leave at 8:30. Of course the trouble makers made the news.

Meantime, they broke down the numbers of who supports the war. Most war supporters are from the MidWest. The least number of supporters of the war are from the East...where all the true terrorist attacks were committed.
    Its a joke..

Those are criminal offences and should be treated as such..

That person who threw acid at a policemans face needs to be locked away for a very long time. Piece of shit.
    Balddog I agree with so many of your posts. I think the trouble with the peacemovement right now is that all kinds of creeps are mixing in with the marches.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    the trouble with the peacemovement right now is that all kinds of creeps are mixing in
    that could r5ead; "the trouble with the whitehouse is that are kinds of creeps are moving in".
    throwing acid in anyones face should and i would imagine already does, carry a very severe sentence. throwing a fucking egg at an american polotician is probably already a terrorist offence! it's a tradition in england. even our deputy prime minister gets into the swing of it. he punched a guy in the face last year. the guy lives a mile from me and is still something of a celeb round these parts.
    our deputy prime minister is an old drunken seaman. how he is deputy prime minister of such a great country is beyond me. i reckon he has pictures of tony smoking a spliff (and inhaling) while he's sucking maggie thatchers tit. i'm drunk and going to bed.
    Night. Hope you don't dream about that last thing you said.
    Pnj; I'm surprised that your worried about this, your normaly so behind all of the moves your government makes.

And besides, theres nothing to worry about from a bit of internment, its always worked to stop terrorists in the past hasnt it.
    I mean if the US is going to do it, theres no point in half measures, given the current climate, they could piss on Lincons statue in the name of fighting terrorism and no-one would mention a thing. Your country is moving faster and faster towards a police state, not because you are having it forced on you but because the public as a whole want it!

Well as the old saying goes "if you've got nothing to hide then you shouldnt worry"
    Well remember that when one of your friends dissapears to what you think is an internment camp but the police deny anything.
    The assembly has already been warned by some big legal groups that fight for the public interest that they are going to challenge it. One of our constitutional rights, besides freedom of speech, is freedom of assembly. (Not that I'd stick up for anyone throwing acid in the face of a cop. But that person would already be locked up under lots of other laws.)