Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fluoxaite....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or how ever you spell it. My Doctor wants to keep me on them for 6 months and I was wondering if anyone had any problems comeing off of them? Like feeling shity or what ever??

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean fluoxetine?

If so, it's an antidepressant and is usually supposed to be taken for six months after you start feeling better. The idea is to reduce the risk of a relapse of the depression. It's a good idea to discuss it with your doctor if you want to come off them earlier - don't stop taking them suddenly without telling anyone because you have to cut the dose down slowly over time.
  • Options
    thats not neccesarily true, i just dropped fluroxit...whatever the technical term for prozac is, without decreasing the dosage and i've never been better. but that all depends on the environment i guess. if you're heading back into the environment that caused the depression, then chances are you will get a relapse if you just drop it suddenly.
  • Options
    I'm only on 1 pill a day so you reduce much more than that really can ya? :p. Dreamer you know not all brands work my doctor said you have to mix about abit if they don't untill you get the ones right for you. Anyway..My orginal question...Are you like zombiefied after you come off them or any other side effects? Thinks their 20mg pills.
  • Options
    You can cut down to every other day, then one every 3 days and so on. If you stop taking them too fast you may feel a 'rebound' of anxiety or depression. Take it easy and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jay-O
    I'm only on 1 pill a day so you reduce much more than that really can ya? :p. Dreamer you know not all brands work my doctor said you have to mix about abit if they don't untill you get the ones right for you. Anyway..My orginal question...Are you like zombiefied after you come off them or any other side effects? Thinks their 20mg pills.

the only major side effect for me, was that i was a little short tempered for a few weeks after cutting off. when the system shock was over, everything was peachy.

anti depressants comes in different forms, and prozac is just one of them. fluoxetine is the actual chemical name. "prozac" is just a trade name.