Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The embedded journos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now im sure that most of you arent too fond of the media on the whole, just like me..

Im also no fan of the Iraqi army but i cant help feeling a little annoyed at the actions of the media in this whole situation. Watching this whole war live on tv is bad enough, feels very morbid and more than a little perverse tbh.

The main thing that annoys me is that journo who was killed and the fuss made over him. Now I appreciate he died and has a family etc but it was his own choice. As we get further into this war, more and more of these embedded media staff are going to get killed and no doubt the western media will turn on the iraqis are demonise them for this.

Those journalists dressed in camo and on the front line with the troops are valid targets for the iraqis and we should not be surprised, or even angry, that they get killed.

Just one of my pet peeves that i can see coming :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: The embedded journos
    Originally posted by Balddog

The main thing that annoys me is that journo who was killed and the fuss made over him. Now I appreciate he died and has a family etc but it was his own choice.

Agreed.

His party were warned several times before the shooting to turn back, but they ignored this adivce and carried on.
    Has there been another death or is this the ITV journo? Because I heard he was killed by friendly fire.

I agree about the morals of a 'live TV coverage' war. A couple of times I've even heard words such as "spectacular" used to describe a firefight or missile raid. I don't think it's good for the propaganda war efforts either. The sight of soldiers cheering as a missile blows up a house where Iraqis were hiding, or corpses lying on the dust will only fuel the anti war sentiment.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Has there been another death or is this the ITV journo? Because I heard he was killed by friendly fire.

Yeah, the ITN one was killed by friendly fire. I assumed that's what Balddog was talking about.
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I agree about the morals of a 'live TV coverage' war. A couple of times I've even heard words such as "spectacular" used to describe a firefight or missile raid. I don't think it's good for the propaganda war efforts either. The sight of soldiers cheering as a missile blows up a house where Iraqis were hiding, or corpses lying on the dust will only fuel the anti war sentiment.

Wasnt aware it was friendly fire, heard reports of crossfire but no definates..

Im sure there will be more though..

As for the anti-war sentiment..Are you really so sure? On the whole, people are bloodthirsty and very keen to see the 'glamour' of battle. Im willing to bet that the news channels are getting unprecedented viewing figures while showing this kind of thing.

I dont have much faith in the general population.
    Originally posted by Balddog

Im willing to bet that the news channels are getting unprecedented viewing figures while showing this kind of thing.

Yep. Sky Digi-Box sales have risen significantly since last Thursday, too...
    I agree with what you have said. Journalists have no right to be at the front line. All they can expect is danger and I personally think they are putting operations in jeopardy. After all troops will be preoccupied with the civilians who are in their care.

I am sorry that this man has died but I agree that he made the final decision to put his own life in danger for the sake of this media coverage, which has reached saturation point.
    Wasn't another journalist killed by a terrorist car bomb in the Kurdish area?