Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Protests at the Oscars ceremony

Glad to see a number of people in the film industry expressed their views on the war on Iraq, despite repeated warnings from the Academy. Here's a transcript of Michael Moore's Oscar acceptance speech:

"Whoa. On behalf of our producers Kathleen Glynn and Michael Donovan from Canada, I'd like to thank the Academy for this. I have invited my fellow documentary nominees on the stage with us, and we would like to — they're here in solidarity with me because we like nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it's the fictition of duct tape or fictition of orange alerts we are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush, shame on you. And any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up. Thank you very much."

Good on you boy! :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good ol' Michael Moore.

You know you can trust him to say what you'd want to in the same circumstance.

That said i am slightly peeved that went to the oscars at all, but i suppose he did use it to say something important.
    thats the first time ive heard more than two lines of it! I think it was really good. The crowd obviosuly has split opinions.

Michael Moore is great though:)
    I think it was great that people did go and that they chose to say something worthwhile. The Audience reaction was split but that at least shows that there are 'stars' who aren't afraid to voice their opinion, Its the ones like Kevin Spacey - who refuse to give any opinion - that annoy me..its like they are too scared of not getting jobs be it because they are pro or anti or just undecided.

Good old Michael Moore - that comment about the Pope and the Dixie Chicks was great. I stayed up all night for the oscars and his speech was the highlight...I was clapping till my bands hurt and whooping even though my bloke was trying to sleep upstairs...I have it all on Video so I can cheer myself up over and over again.