Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

100-acre Iraqis chemical plant found.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How could France's hand picked person in charge of UN inspections have missed so big a target? My guess: French oil company deals. French aerospace company deals. German chemical company deals.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003132088,00.html

Remember this when helping your parents make travel plans. Luxury hotels in Paris that rely on Japanese and American tourists are at 25% capacity. They are usually at 60%. Remember who's fighting with you...and against you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PNJ,

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. The reports are not yet substantiated. Wait for verification!
    Notice that the report uses the terms "..this would represent a major find...." rather than this does...

Seems like Thanatos, you are so eager to justify this war and swallow the spin that youll claim anything before it is fully verified.

Ill wait for more credible than The Sun, or Fox News to confirm this is indeed a chemical factory before condemning it.
    Well said Murph. The plant might well be genuine, but given the number of porkies we've had to endure from both sides, proper verification is required.

But even if turns to be genuine, please stop trying to accuse the French of influencing the outcome of inspections or the UN of deliberately missing banned weapons. There are only two governments here who have tried to cheat and deceive everyone with regard to WMDs and inspections. They both start with U and their leaders' surnames with B. Know who I mean?
    Alladin,

Blix really is a twit. Come on! If you read some of the reports you wonder what he is on about. Just like a politician to never gives a straight answer. If this does turn out to be a chemical plant it is damaging to the inspections process. It wiil undercut the UN's position. How could they not even know about this plant?
    If nothing else, it's another dual use plant like the one that produces ricin and a legitimate product.

I was happy to read that Japanese and American tourists comprise the biggest market for luxury vacations in France...and Europe. And Paris luxury hotels that are usually at 60% capacity this time of year...are at 25%.

Gee, maybe the laid-off people in France can devote MORE time to yelling at American tourists to go home or gathering for anti-American marches.

Don't think we're not watching the money drain and loving it. :lol:
    I very much doubt if Blix would have hidden such find. That is a very serious accusation.

Blix presented reports with all the finds he did. Apparently the US and the UK did not like the oral presentations he made of his reports. Something to do with the relevance he gave to various findings. But while the presentation might not be objective what counts is the written report, where all the data can be found in full. Blix gave a general overview and his personal opinion of how the inspections were going and the general level of participation from Iraq. Perhaps the US and UK governments didn't like what they were hearing?

Relations were never great between the inspectors team and the US and the UK. I can't blame Blix for any personal grudges or lack of sympathy he might have held against Powell & co. America and Britain deliberately tried to mislead the UN inspectors by presenting old and doctored dossiers and satellite images as accurate and fresh information. Not to mention constant attempts to take control over their jobs and try to tell them how long it should take for inspections to take place.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    [B

Seems like Thanatos, you are so eager to justify this war and swallow the spin that youll claim anything before it is fully verified.

[/B]

It sounds so bittery ironic when we talk about war and you mention about Thanatos which it actually means death in greek.Though I totally agree with you.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    If nothing else, it's another dual use plant like the one that produces ricin and a legitimate product.

I was happy to read that Japanese and American tourists comprise the biggest market for luxury vacations in France...and Europe. And Paris luxury hotels that are usually at 60% capacity this time of year...are at 25%.

Gee, maybe the laid-off people in France can devote MORE time to yelling at American tourists to go home or gathering for anti-American marches.

Don't think we're not watching the money drain and loving it. :lol:

How many French (and German, and countless other nations) tourists of the millions who visit the US every year do you think will be bothering to visit the US this year pnj? What goes around comes around...

Please note that American tourism is down everywhere (including here home of the Great British Friends of America). It has more to do with reluctance to fly abroad in times on conflict than with boycotting France.

In any event, the people most likely to boycott France are trailer-park rednecks and assorted types. Americans who fly to Paris on holiday are above this reactionary, ignorant and moronic boycott.
    Indeed Al, but then you cant expect a naive 16 yr old who thinks insulting every country in the world is intelliigent repartee to comprehend that fact.

He also doesnt seem to comprehend that it is we, the US and UK that are systematically being isolated and set up for major economic backlash in the not to distant future.

Perhaps when he sees how little opportunity he faces once he's out of college he'll recall how arrogantly he cheered for every other nations' demise.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Notice that the report uses the terms "..this would represent a major find...." rather than this does...

Ill wait for more credible than The Sun, or Fox News to confirm this is indeed a chemical factory before condemning it.

I personally will wait till there is more evidence, but somehow I think, that even when we do prove you wrong Clandestine, you'll still disagree with the war and say it is about oil.
    Even you should know the UK is committed to findig alternative fuels, and if we need to we CAN be self-sufficient in oil. Blair, unlike Bush has intelligence and started the war for the right reasons.
    Maybe you are right about Bush, but as far as I can see Blair has no interest in the black stuff apart from that it gets handed over to the Iraqi people when the war has ended.
    My criticisms are largely centered on my own goverment Whowhere, so apart from playing lapdog and perhaps being somewhat railroaded by the already revealed bully tactics of the Washington right wing ring masters, Blair is merely a secondary (though still disturbing) issue.

Given that the UK public in my view has taken its civic duties seriously and pointed the spotlight on its own leaders before being willingly gulled into diverting their attentions to the foreign boogeyman, I don't see the same level of urgent need to expend efforts at trying to wake them up to the hypocrisies inherent in this whole affair and, to a larger extent, in all the foreign policy manipulations which Washington has committed and yet commits in the further interest of corporate greed.

As for the possible chemical factory, I would condemn that, but you are correct that even then - knowing that this war has long been planned on grounds and with a scope far exceeding the magnanimous rhetoric that we were fed (with all the ensuing twist and turns and contrived "evidence") in the run up to the invasion - I will continue to believe that this war is about control over the 2nd largest oil reserve in the world as well as about establishing a puppet regime intended to serve as a means of controlling/dominating the Middle East and pave the way for further advancement of US and Israeli interests over those of all the other sovereign nations and people's of the region.

You are free to delude yourself that alternative fuels will be allowed to undermine the massive economic and political power base of the Western oil producers, that is your right. It is not reality though.