Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

accommodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi there I am a student currently in my first year at uni and I'm starting to panic now as I have no where to live next year. All the people I know here have put down money to move into a place with other people and I am feeling very left out. I told all the people that I know, that I wanted to become a senior student and live in halls next year and look after the freshers. But thats all fallen through!! Now what do i do? please help me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Theres really no need to panic you still have a lot of time though you should probably start looking soon.

If your initial plan has fallen through then you should talk to people you know about moving in with them.

If that is also not possible then you will have to move in with new people, there are likely to be lots of vacancies in the student areas.

Does your uni have accomadation services?

If so they are likely to have offices or a website that can help you.
  • Options
    Hi there my uni has an accomodation office and I was talking to one girl who seems a nice enough girl to live with. She's looking for an extra person to live with and I plan to visit the place on monday. But the room etc costs around £61 per week I think!! What prices places are I take it depends on where you live. But is this price too much? On top of this expense I'd have to pay for food etc!! Everything is so expensive in this world!!
  • Options
    £61!

That is pretty steep, I only pay £41 but that is not including bills, will you have to pay for Gas and Electricity, Water, telephone, as well?

Only you know how much you can afford, you will have to plan out how much money you are going to have next year to see if you can afford it........
  • Options
    I think that the price covers bills etc. I also need to put down a deposit for £250!! seems a lot. What is the deposit for? Also do you know any questions I should ask about the cost etc of the house that I am looking to live in?? Please help.
  • Options
    The deposit is for if you break things I belive, you will get it back if you don't damage the house.

Make sure you know when you have to pay ie monthly, quarterly and how you will pay ie cheque or cash etc.

You should find out when your loan installments will be (only approximately, they will be about the same as this year) to see if you will be able to pay on time and consult anyone who helps you financially ie your paretnts, to see if they can help you with the costs, especially if you cannot afford the deposit.....