Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why does...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why does everyone think that saddam is going to gas, bomb or kill us in some way shape or form? he's had the resources to pick a fight and have a decent chance against most western countries, for the last decade. if you really believe that he was going attack us, then why hasn't he done it already?

my reasoning. saddam's a businessman. we buy iraqi oil, which makes him money. so it would be in his best interests to keep us alive and consuming his oil in some way or form.
so why does he have the WMDs? political clout. he can use them as a bargaining chip with other countries.
all in all, saddam's pretty well sorted. i'm not endorsing what he's doing to his citizens, but he does know how to get the job done, and at the end of the day, thats what counts.

I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, so bring it on.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think people believe he will or can attack us, that is why most people oppose the war........

i don't understand what you mean by 'get the job done'?

The job of being a violent dictator?:confused::(
  • Options
    Dreamer, read about him. Just key in Saddam on any search engine and read anything about him that comes up.
  • Options
    Then go read about Bush and his family history going back to his granddad Prescott Bush. Youll be amazed at how dirty this self proclaimed moral crusader really is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I don't think people believe he will or can attack us, that is why most people oppose the war........

i don't understand what you mean by 'get the job done'?

The job of being a violent dictator?:confused::(

i don't believe that he will attack us, but he does have the means to annoy large chunks of the middle east. and by "get the job done" i mean, he is a businessman from where i sit, and his job would be to earn money, which he does very well.

I don't actually believe that saddam wants a war either. it's bad for business. war not only cost money to wage, but it damages markets.

and i don't really care about either leader. i have read up on saddam, it's a rags to riches story. i'll admit that he isn't the best role model on earth, but his business ethics has to be admired. beating off his peers with ease, surviving one attempt on his rule, that is impressive no matter what you say.

and once again, i will stress that I DO NOT ENDORSE HIS METHODS
  • Options
    I have to disagree his actions have been a major factor behind the introduction of the sanctions that have ruined the Iraqi economy.

If he had behaved differently then there would be no sanctions, iraq would be more prosperous and he could milk the higher wealth........
  • Options
    true, but disarming could suggest to saddam, that he is a weak leader, and in a rags to riches story, pride would be a large factor. backing down in the face of seemingly stacked odds, would be seen as a loss of face. speaking personally, as someone that finds it hard to swallow their pride, i'd rather die than back down.

again, i do not endorse his ACTIONS/METHODS, but his WORK ETHIC
  • Options
    But pride is not the best quality in abusiness man i would say.
  • Options
    true, but id many situations, the ability to stand up without faultering has it's own rewards, and i will admit that in saddam's situation, it's a bad thing, but i doubt that he'd be where he is without it.
  • Options
    Saddam is a rags to $2 billion in riches story...Iraq is a riches to rags story.

Everything you said in this thread Dreamer is in keeping with Europe's peace movement. You have thousands of people who would agree with exactly what you said regarding Saddam.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Saddam is a rags to $2 billion in riches story...Iraq is a riches to rags story.

Everything you said in this thread Dreamer is in keeping with Europe's peace movement. You have thousands of people who would agree with exactly what you said regarding Saddam.

fair enought, but at least i havn't been duped into believing that "america is the god send that will save the world" by a hawkish meglomaniac and his posse of yes men and brown nosers.

i'm not pro iraq. i'm anti america, and that growth on it's ass called Tony Blair