Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nottingham or Leeds?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've had all my university offers for a while now, but still haven't decided which 2 offers to hold onto. The offers I was given to study Psychology were:

Bath AAA
Birmingham BBB
Exeter AAB
Leeds ABB
Nottingham ABB
Royal Holloway BBB

I've decided I definetely want to go to uni in a lively city so have discarded Bath, Exeter and Royal Holloway.

This leaves Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham.
Nottingham is academically the best, ie. it has scored the most highly in the league tables for Pscyhology (4th in the country I think), so I will probably hold on to that offer. I went to visit Nottingham and thought the campus and stuff was nice, although it seemed a little stuck-up perhaps? The halls looked nice though.

I also visited Leeds, which I really liked. There's so much to do there and such a range of people as opposed to the typical public school types I saw at Nottingham (although I guess I can't really judge from going there for a day). I also hear they have a big punk scene which I would like. Dunno if I'd get much work done there though, as theres so many distractions and I am unmotivated as hell when it comes to studying! I also reckon I'd spend too much money shopping and stuff!

Leeds is not far on the train from Nottingham though so I guess I could go out there if I wanted a change. My dad wants me to go to Nottingham because it's better for my course, but my mum wants me to go to Leeds cos she went there and loved it.

Might leave Birmingham as my back-up as their offer is lower, although when I visited it I didn't like it that much.

I really don't know what to do! I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these two universities, or even if they go there. Thanks xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Nottingham or Leeds?

Hi

I'm at Leeds Uni at the moment, studying English (with electives in Psychology).

I had the same decision to make - Leeds or Nottingham? In the end I'm glad I made the choice I did, just because like you said:
    There's such a range of people as opposed to the typical public school types I saw at Nottingham
    There's definitely a great mix of people here, and I have yet to find any stereotypical public school types.
    I also hear they have a big punk scene which I would like
    :yes:
    Dunno if I'd get much work done there though, as theres so many distractions and I am unmotivated as hell when it comes to studying! I also reckon I'd spend too much money shopping and stuff!
    I completely agree! For me, this is the only "downside" to studying here, you do get quite distracted by everything on offer, and I'm ashamed at the amount of gorgeous things I've bought on on impulse...

Overall though, it's a fantastic and friendly place, really rather cheap, the halls (especially those on campus) are pretty decent, and the nightlife is second to none! Above all, the teaching quality is excellent and I am really enjoying my course.

Hope that helps :)

p.s. Don't be biased by me - hear out a Nottingham student first! :p
    Im at Leeds uni and I did psychology electives. I love it here, soo many clubs to go to and you really feel like you are living the student life. Everyone is really friendly and its very good on the academic side too with lots of support available if u need it. i'm sure i could find distractions in a garden shed when it comes to doing work but people here do seem to get down to doing some when they need to.

Ive not heard many good reviews about birmingham to be honest but I suppose if u wanted to go for safe option. Don't forget though that on results day, Unis tend to lower their original offer and let u in. I go in with BCC even though they originally said BBC.

Good luck!
    Re: Re: Nottingham or Leeds?
    Originally posted by Samuti
    Overall though, it's a fantastic and friendly place, really rather cheap, the halls (especially those on campus) are pretty decent, and the nightlife is second to none!

The nightlife second to non huh?!! Well did Leeds come 8th in the best nights out in the world?!! I don't think so! (I'm talking about Newcastle btw!)

And some of the halls that I've been in at Leeds university are absoloutley dire, I mean, I wouldn't even let my worst enemy live there.

I'd opt for Nottingham, especially if it's a higher quality of teaching. So what if it's a bit more stuck up, you'll find people who you get on with.

I'm not dissing Leeds, infact that was my 2nd choice, but I'd rather go to Nottingham.
    I'm at Nottingham in my second year and I found the first year really hard for the reason you gave- there are an awful lot of rich, public school people here. I found it really hard to fit in and find people that were on my level, who I wasn't intimidated by and who didn't take the piss out of my accent. I nearly quit and went somewhere else due to the lonliness I felt. However, I did find friends who are similar to me and now I'm perfectly happy. I would say though that you are gonna find those sort of people at every top university so Leeds may not in fact be that much better.
    I'm in my 2nd year of a-levels at the mo. i live near enough to leeds to commute as some of the accomodation is really really skanky. it's also the largest biochem department in the country, which has its pros and cons. i suppose it's cos i'm from round here that i really felt that i fit in, it has great shopping, good public transport and there are people from all walks of life studying there. if i go there i'll stay in halls for the first year so that i can make friends, but years 2 and 3 i'll commute from home - my cousin had 3 cars stolen and torched when he was in uni accom.
    nottingham uni is reknowned as one for the 'oxford rejects' (of which i am one, lol) and even on the open days some of the people also looking round were so arrogant - their view was the only one that mattered on everything. i also didn't particularly like the city - i saw incidents of racism and awful comments being made about a homeless man. there are homeless people where i come from, but most of them are ok people. maybe i've lived a sheltered life. but the overall impression of the city was not good. the campus was nice though :)
    i need to choose between york and leeds. i said that i'd go for a uni that wasn't in a big city like leeds. i know that york is also a big city, but it seems much quieter and less industrial than leeds does, and the campus was more organised. personal preference i suppose. if you dont think you'll fit in at nottingham, i think you'd be better off going for leeds :D
    Leeds is a dive so i would say nottingham!

Exeter is a loverly place though!!
    Re: Re: Re: Nottingham or Leeds?
    Originally posted by Jono_H
    The nightlife second to non huh?!! Well did Leeds come 8th in the best nights out in the world?!! I don't think so! (I'm talking about Newcastle btw!)
    :rolleyes:

Leeds - well it does have a thriving punk scene, so if you're into all that then you can't go wrong, trust me! (I don't live there but I have witnessed "the scene" which is quite underground me thinks)
    Pick Leeds!

I'm at Leeds, it's so much cooler than anywhere else! There's all types of every kind of person here. The halls are fine, I can only think of one lot that's terrible and that's deing re-done. Pick Leeds, pick leeds!