Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

British referendum on the euro plus events planned for Europe Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dear Dr McShane,

I have four questions, which I will try to keep brief and to the point.

1) With a first assessment of Gordon Brown's five economic tests due on June 7th, when would you say is the earliest 'possible' date for a referendum on the euro and when is the earliest 'realistic' date for such a referendum? My interest in the euro is that I wrote my research dissertation for a Masters (at Bath, Siena and Madrid universities) on this issue.

2) What events do you have planned for Europe Day this year?

3) As a linguist (as I note you are), I would be very interested to hear what innovations are being considered (in addition to the brilliant idea of the poems on the London Underground) to break down the language barrier between mainland Europe and the UK. I am referring in particular to my belief that the British public's general lack of interest in what is happening in mainland European countries is partly due to this language barrier.

4) What is your view of France's position during the Iraq crisis, especially their decision to veto any 2nd UN resolution "whatever the circumstances". Do you think their position was justified in any way?

Apologies if my questions are too long but I would be very interested to hear your answers.

Many thanks,
Julian

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Julian,

could you please re-post this one in the " Ongoing discussion with the UK's Minister for Europe" thread.
    I know it's a clutter, but Dr McShane is probably just going to use that one thread, rather than trawl the whole board.

cheers

BB