Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may sound dumb, but is it possible to have depression without knowing/noticing?
To be so cut off from your feelings, that it all ends up in some kind mechanism? Or that you manage to fool yourself, thinking that you're ok?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, but if youre aware of that then surely youre aware of the unhappiness?

Depression is normally stronger than just being sad, though, if its interfering with your life the numbness then its depression, but if its not then perhaps it isnt. They wouldnt diagnose it anyway.
    Just read something last night, which made me think about it.
    Yes, it's possible:

http://www.thesite.org/info/health/depression/the_signs_of_depression.html

For example you may feel angry or anxious, rather than sad or down.
    yeah, it's possible.

if you're still able to convince yourself that you're ok, you would probably only have mild depression.

this can be helped enormously by eating properly, moderate exercise and talking about how you feel.
    When I had post natal depression I thought it was everyone around me who was the problem, obviously at a later stage when i eventually seen the doctor he confirmed that i was depressed and gave me medication. However at that time I didnt think i was depressed.

With depression sometimes you dont realise that theres something wrong. You can have ups and downs, be tearful, stop eating, be anxious, be real stroppy infact amongst some other symptoms. with me i wasnt eating, was tearful etc etc.
    Thanks for the answers guys. Dearly appericiated.
    i think im depressed, probably due to hormones and general teenage ripes but im so.. blurgh. i wouldnt say sad i dont know i just feel slightly numb and just have to accept that people dont like me and things like that. although i smiled yesterday when the school nurse asked me if i wanted to go down to primary school to support the kids :)

ah well, not all life is bad i guess....
    I have had a lot of anger, tension and anxiety built up in me lately. And found myself snapping at the most trivial of things. Even though I don't think it's a depression, as I do remember the bright side of stuff.

But how would I get rid of all of the emotions from above? I can't do sports, some days I can barely walk. Normally that'd been my way of dealing with things.