Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dissertation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well, I have to start thinking about what I want to do my dissertation in next year. I do three subjects at university as part of combined honours but I want to do a sociology dissertation.

I am quite eager to do something about widening participation at university for people who are able to go but don't, or the experience of local students at a university mainly comprising of students from a non local area. However, I can't think of any precise question to answer!!

What did other people study for their dissertation? Also, would it be a hinderence to study something I have such a strong opinion on?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nobody ever done a dissertation then? :confused:
    Doing a dissertation on "recombination mechanisms in mid-infrared LEDs" if that's any help ;)
    Erm, surely, if my experience is anything to go by, you will have a dissertation tutor, who is there in the first place to answer your questions like these! Go and speak to them...
    You should really do it on something that really interests you, as you have to live and breathe this piece of work for a substancial amount of time.

My dissertation was a comparitive study between the levels of innovation and differentiation offered to customers in Germany and the UK by the largest supermarket chains.

Didn't really have any choice with regards to the title, so i decided to at least try and make it as interesting and fun for me to do. I changed the wording so that I could do focus and group discussion sessions, which were quite good fun and meant I got to do some travelling as well.

Well am sure this has been of no help in helping you decide a title but I wish you the best of luck anyway!!
    I've decided to do something about education in my native north east.

I am going to examine why, in general, pupils in the north don't perform as well in exams. That means I can go into detail about such things as income, deprevation, teaching methods, funding etc etc..... yippee!

Also means I get to interview lots of kids. :eek: