Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

confused about uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im gonna start at sixth form collage next year and so i hav to choose my subjects pretty soon. i wanna do spychology, phylosophy, english lit and a BTEC in drama. but sum1 told me that altho BTECs r worth the same as an A leval, university wont accept on a BTEC, especially if i wanna go to a good one so i need more subjects so i thort id take history. but my mum told me that sum unis dont count psychology as a proper A leval or summit so i myt not get a place with my chosen subjects. i thought they judged applicants on points so as long as i get good grades it shouldnt matter wot i do. but she dissagrees and i need sum1 to tell me wot is actually the truth. thanx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: confused about uni
    Originally posted by frufru
    i wanna do spychology

hehe spychology...sounds cool
    you meant psychology right?!

Your mum's wrong..psychology is a proper subject..it's just cos it's not one of the traditional academic subjects like geography or history that she might think this.
    What do you want to study at university? It would probably be better to do a traditional A level subject rather than a BTEC in drama, as universities do tend to prefer normal A levels. It really depends on what you want to do. I applied to study Psychology and the top universities preferred people to have 3 A levels in academic subjects, but Psychology and Philosophy are included in their idea of academic subjects.
    Re: Re: confused about uni
    Originally posted by Pink Soda

Your mum's wrong

:yes: She is indeed.
    im gonna start at sixth form collage next year and so i hav to choose my subjects pretty soon. i wanna do spychology, phylosophy, english lit and a BTEC in drama. but sum1 told me that altho BTECs r worth the same as an A leval, university wont accept on a BTEC, especially if i wanna go to a good one so i need more subjects so i thort id take history. but my mum told me that sum unis dont count psychology as a proper A leval or summit so i myt not get a place with my chosen subjects. i thought they judged applicants on points so as long as i get good grades it shouldnt matter wot i do. but she dissagrees and i need sum1 to tell me wot is actually the truth. thanx

Are the philosophy, psychology and english lit A-Levels? If so what's the problem?
    Psychology's fine! :) (spychology sounds like 007...)

Seems ok - you'll have 3 A levels so uni-wise you'll be fine, and if you want to do a BTEC as well then good for you. Most of the best unis don't accept BTECs as equivalents to A Levels and wouldn't include them in your offers, but they might be interested to know you had done something else other than your A Levels.
    OK I'm worried now, I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma in Care and I'm hoping to do a BEd at Uni. I thought as long as you got enough merits and distinctions it would be alright :crazyeyes
    phylosophy,
    philosophy??

Surely you should learn to spell before you even consider making an application to university!?

Hunnypot - I would ring or email some universities if I were you because I am not sure they will take you on a course with only one qualification such as a BTEC. For education I would imagine you would need A Levels. I know my friend did an advanced GNVQ and still needed to do an A level in order to receive a place (and that was at a pretty shitty uni that will take anyone, lol).

Good luck in finding out, but I would check if I were you!
    You could also learn to spell "applying" :P
    Psychology is a proper A-level, although some people view it as a 'pseudo-science.'
    By the way, i recommend English Lit to take at AS/A level - i took it and am so far enjoying it!
    What subject do you want to do?

You could do abit of research before you decide for sure which Alevels to take, and that way there will be less need to worry. Even if you don know exactly where you would like to go, most subjects tend to have the same subject requirements. Thery were for geology anyway, usually something like "3 out of [loads of alevel courses] including at least one science and preferably geography and/or geology" or something similar.
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    OK I'm worried now, I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma in Care and I'm hoping to do a BEd at Uni. I thought as long as you got enough merits and distinctions it would be alright :crazyeyes

Are you doing another Alevel? They like you to have Alevels but im doing 1 alevel and an AVCE which they will accept! Its best talking to the uni!

in fact both of you shouldget in toch with a couple of uni's and put youre minds at rest.

on a different not i have accepted my offers to the BEd at Marjons and Plymouth :D so VERY HAPPY! after two years of trying!
    Originally posted by HunnyPot

Im doing a BEd, and although i done A-levels, quite a lot of people on my course done only the BTEC and got in with merits. so dont worry that much! :) although i would suggest you phone the uni's or start by looking at the perspectus (sp). Im at swansea and they are very keen on the amount of work experience you have had with children, so get some voluntary work with children aswell. where are you hoping to study?
    Originally posted by *Welshbabe*

Im doing a BEd, and although i done A-levels, quite a lot of people on my course done only the BTEC and got in with merits. so dont worry that much! :) although i would suggest you phone the uni's or start by looking at the perspectus (sp). Im at swansea and they are very keen on the amount of work experience you have had with children, so get some voluntary work with children aswell. where are you hoping to study?

Thanks, the places I'm looking at are Plymouth (Exmouth/Exeter), Liverpool John Moores or U.W.E. if you've heard of it. What you've said has sort of put my mind at rest though, so cheers xxx

I was going to do an A-Level in Human Biology or Psychology alongside it but the original college campus I was going to do it in scrapped the Health and Social care course so I had to do it at a college which didn't offer the A-Levels at a convenient time, if you follow me.

Thanks for all your advice, including Mist :) I think I will get in touch with them just to check, but not just yet, got ages! If I call now and find I won't be accepted to any of them I'll get seriously demoralised from producing any good work on my current course.