Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home Study Courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all! I'm quite new and was hoping for a bit of advice, if poss...

My current situation is this.. I'm 19, left college last July (with an AS and 2 A-levels), and have been working as a waitress for 6 months now. As much as I love my job, it was never meant to be a career choice - it would have never crossed my mind to apply for such a job, but my best mate did, and ater I'd met her boss a few time, she asked me if i fancied trying out as they were short staffed. This was back in September when I was just about to sign on for JSA, so my main thinking was "might as well give it a try, if only just for the money!"
I got the job after my first shift - apparently, they were very impressed with me - and things have got better and better ever since. I've got loadsa extra responsibilities; bosses still think I'm wonderful; and I still really enjoy it.
However, I only work about 20 hrs a week and extra hours isn't really an option (I work nearly all the time we're open - bosses choose their own opening hours and don't want to open anymore than they currently do). So what with all this free time on my hands, I need something to occupy myself - preferable something constructive and useful for my future (and something that will get my parents off my back!)... So I was thinking of a home study course.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is, what do you think / know about them? I was thinking of something like ICS (the ones advertised on TV) - the Open University is out of the question as you have to be 19 in the January of the year you start your course and I only turned 19 last week.
I was thinking of Hospitality Management - after working in hospitality (being a waitress counts!) and doing some of the management bit (like I said, the extra responibilities), I quite fancy a career in it - perhaps bar or restaurant manager?

Studying and meeting set deadlines never was one of my strongest points at college and I have the exam grades to prove it, so the idea of going to university proper is probably a pointless one!

And another thing.. I know an "ICS diploma" may not be as recognised or highly regarded as a uni degree or HND, but would it be worth it? Or would any future employer dismiss it immediately? Any ideas folks? (or ideas on who would be best to ask?)

Thanks for taking the time to read all that waffle - and I promise future posts won't ever be that long! :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya!
    I recently posted a question about open university qualifications (seen as though i havent been accepted at the uni i wanted to go to in september). Anyway, i was looking at the open university website and like you said i aint old enough, so i rang up ICS. I was looking to do the 'child psychology' one but it costs over £400. I probably wouldnt mind doing this if i got myself a job alongside, but ive been put off by the fact that i dont know how recognisable the qualification is and what is actually going to come of it. If i ended up paying that amount of money and then had to go to university aswell-well then thats a bit of a waste of time. I think if they didnt charge so much, more people would be interested. I just suggest that you ring them up and have a chat about what you wanna do, cause the man who i chatted so was very helpful and very nice. Goodluck :)