Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

differences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometimes I feel like I don't measure up to my boyfriend.
His life is quite different from mine. (Long distance relationship, so our lifes don't really mingle into each other) When comparing him to me, he seems as though he's way cooler, richer, wittier... He just seems better than me. So whenever he talks about something he's done I just start feeling less and less cool and good, and I start feeling bad...
I don't know why, but does anyone know a way to change this?
I discussed this with my boyfriend, but he got all sweet and lovey and told me how we're on the same level on everything and we're perfect together and all.
But I still feel this way... Help.

Comments

• Options
    it sound like its damaging you self esteem and there only one way to improve the situation and thats by getting out there and trying out new things for yourself.

get out there and try new experiences, and i dont mean anything dodgy but meet new people and try out new things. that way you can't feel insignificant.but im sure that your bf is by no means trying to make you feel crappy, so when he tells you these things just try to bear in mind that everyone has lived a different life.

my bf is 9 yrs older than me so i kinda get the same feeling i suppose, its like he's been there, done that and got the Tshirt.whilst i'm lagging behind only starting to live my life.but i get through it by just accepting that its what comes with age and i've got my whole life to live yet!
    you'll be fine, try out new stuff and focus on your lifes good points!;)
  • Options
    Bumping this back up... As I've had several problems with this feeling the past few (a lot really) days...

Adding to this with an edit... I always seem to feel left out whilst talking to him. Anyone got a view on that?
  • Options
    Maybe you are just a timid and generally a shy persons, this will change in time the more you go out and meet people and gain knowledge, Try standing up for yourself

If you have something to say, say it! Plan it out in your head first if you think it might make you sound stupid.

If you want to impress your bf without a doubt, start a sentence with “A man once told me........”;) ;)

Just kidding!!

But do you think you get nervous a lot?
  • Options
    Not a lot... Just with usual things of having to talk in large crowds of people and stuff... So not a lot. I'm actually pretty confident around most people and joke and say what I wanna say usually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Gentleman
    Maybe you should concentrate on yourself, Zombie, rather than trying to compare yourself with your boyfriend. Does the feeling bad about yourself thing happen a lot?

It happens when I start rethinking about my life usually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Gentleman
    Zombie, do you think this is about yourself or your boyfriend? I only ask because of what you say about rethinking about your life.

Myself. I love my boyfriend to death. He's the best thing that has ever happend to me really.