Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help me pleaseeee...tonsilitus :-(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all, well i woz wondering if any of u cud help me? ive got tonsilitus for the 2nd time :-( last time i woz rly rly ill and in hosp. this time its not tht bad cos i kno what to do ish. Im eating bio yougurts cos theres sumthink in them which helps..an they do :-) and i eatin soup, and im on pain killers and on med from the doc. Do any of u kno anything else which cud numb my whole throat?
cheerz.
s_m_b xXx

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried something like the strepsil throat spray? It's the same idea as throat lozenges, but in a spray, so you can direct it to where you feel you need it. I find with lozenges that the only thing they seem to numb is your tongue, whereas the spray actually numbs the back of the throat. You could also try holding ice in your mouth, I know it sounds strange, but when I had a really bad throat infection it worked, cos as the ice melted the cold water trickled to the back of my throat and numbed it a bit! Strange but effective!
  • Options
    awww ive had tonsilitis 2! i ended up in hospital, how evil is it?i know that i kept drinking water all the time to stop my throat drying out and thats it really. i really just had 2 get through it, theres not a long you can do, as im sure you know.
    thought i's offer you some sympathy!get well soon XXX
  • Options
    May I recommend something?

When you start to feel the inital twinge in your throat that indicates that tonsilitis is on it's way (you know the feeling - almost like a small piece of glass stuck in your throat) go out and buy a few fresh lemons.

Cut one in half (unless they are small), sqeeze the juice out and gargle with it. Try and get the juice to the back of your throat and over the affected part.

Repeat three or four times a day. You'll probably feel the affect almost straight away but rarely do you need to run over into the next day if you've done it a few times.

It's bitch-ugly sour but it works wonders. I used to get terrible tonsilitis and unless I catch it too late and then need antibiotics, it works every time. It's the citric acid in it or something ...
  • Options
    i had tonsilitis alot when i was younger
    when i was 6 i had to hav them taken out it hurt alot after but then it was fine and i never have to feel the pain of tonsilitis again!

and i got to eat alot of ICE CREAM because it helps sothe and numb it!
  • Options
    i get tonsilitis every 6 weeks and its a right bastard! but fortunately after a week in hospital because i got a quinsey (eww) i got put on the urgent tonsilectomy waiting list and get them out in under 3 weeks rck on! just try and sip on dispersible asprin in cold water because this numbs the throat and stops the pain.
    just stay in bed and rest!
  • Options
    I used to get it loads, not that it was ever particularly bad, and the doc's refused to say it was tonsilitus I ahd every time. But eventually after much whinging and saying it was from me they took my tonsils out, prob just to shut me up. Anyways ever since then I've had no troubles, after 4 years off practically a constant sore throat and hints of tonsilitus, the last 2 years have been plesant. :D

But sorry, no I ahve no other ideas than what you've tried or people here have suggested. Sorry. *hugs*
  • Options
    did you know you can still get tonsilitis after you have them removed??

it's not as common, but it happens. they sneakily change the name to 'tonsil bed infection'.

my tonsil-less housemate had it.

that's gotta suck.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    did you know you can still get tonsilitis after you have them removed??

it's not as common, but it happens. they sneakily change the name to 'tonsil bed infection'.

my tonsil-less housemate had it.

that's gotta suck.

But if you've no tonsils, how can they become infected?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo

But if you've no tonsils, how can they become infected?

they can't cut them all out - they have to leave the bit that's attached to the inside of your neck. so you have a little stump of tonsil.

that's the bit that gets infected.