Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feminists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering why they always have to say "we are just as good as men and can be better!"

Because from my point of view the opld equality thing was done and dusted ages ago. So I don't care whether you are male or female. But again and again these feminists have to emphasize how inferior men are. If I was sexist I could say that the fact women think they have to beat men makes men superior..

But most women don't think they have to beat men. But some do. There are women out there who just want to be better than all the men, but don't care about the women. I just want to be as good as I can be.

I think they should just get over it because it's going to be pretty much impossible to move forward if some women are still saying men are evil crap and whatnot.

I must be next generational or something I just don't see the differences between men and women (well, apart from the obvious ones).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I quite agree. Feminism sucks. Equal rights for all I say. I have long moaned on (to people who don't really care) about how mnay women seem to think equal rights mean they get more rights. I don't think women deserve any special treatment because they are women!!

I think everyone should be treated with respect etc. Grrr. Yes, i detest feminism. Hmf.

*Doesn't want to be up this early, had late night last night*
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't think women deserve any special treatment because they are women!!

I TOTALLY agree with that, although sadly it looks like that's the way some things are going.

Apparently in Newcastle there is a student bus which "Gives preference to people travelling alone, and women". Why women? How sexist.
    Originally posted by Liquid:MM
    Apparently in Newcastle there is a student bus which "Gives preference to people travelling alone, and women". Why women? How sexist.
    Yes, there is. There is at Durham too. I think when women are assaulted they worry that rape will be involved (which it is in more cases than it is with men, although I accept men can be raped!). However, a man travelling alone will have priority over a large group of women together.
    feminism doesnt mean man-hating. There are some man haters that give feminists a bad name. feminism just means you think men and women should have equal rights. I consider myself a feminist and i dont think its a dirty word like some people do. A lot of people think its not really an issue now, and that we do have equal rights, but in a lot of areas we dont. Im not like an active campaigner or anything, but I do have basic feminist beliefs (instilled in me by my mother lol)
    What really annoys me is that so many people are keen to reap the benefits of the feminist movement and are quite happy to accept the better conditions and status of women we have now, (Its only quite recent women have had much status at all) Yet ask them if theyre a feminist, and its like its an insult or something.
    I quite agree. Feminism sucks. Equal rights for all I say.

Contradiction in terms!
    Feminism DOES mean equal rights. Thats all it has ever meant. It was never started to make women have MORE rights than men, but some people have taken it to mean something it doesnt. I think a true feminist would realise that in some cases men are getting a shitty deal.
    Everything should be equal.

To stop men moaning that women get special treatment.

To stop women moaning men get special treatment.
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Everything should be equal.

To stop men moaning that women get special treatment.

To stop women moaning men get special treatment.

I agree.
    But should men and women have equal rights? I don't really have much time to explain as I'm meant to be studying :p but I'm referring to reproductive rights here.:confused:
    Well obviously men cant have babies (wheres the foetus gonna gestate - you gonna keep it in a box LOL) equal rights doesnt mean we all have to do the same things, There are certainly differences between the sexes. I dont think thats got anything to do with rights. Im not sure what reproductive rights you mean?
    You mean parenting rights?

You need a well defined idea of the two sexes roles in parenting to make such decisions........

Its controversial.....
    wheres the foetus gonna gestate - you gonna keep it in a box Shhh, don't tell them of my plans! :p

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'll use this example I once saw in a livejournal debate, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

If a woman becomes pregnant during a sexual encounter with a man, and decides to carry to term, the man can usually be made legally responsible for the upbringing of the child (by paying child support). In other words, despite the fact that the man had no choice in whether the woman chose to have the baby, he's now responsible for financial support. On the flipside, if a woman becomes pregnant during a sexual encounter with a man, and decides to terminate the pregnancy, the man is not responsible for the procedure to terminate the pregnancy....... nor does he have rights with regards to the pre-natal side of things (is that the right term?).

I was just wondering what sort of implications equality would have on examples such as this if men and women were truly equal in almost every aspect of life. But I suppose men would actually have to have the capability of carrying a pregnancy to term before this could really be debated and treated as an equality thing. Lol I’m sure I’ve made no sense whatsoever.
    :banghead:
    Feminism is about achieving equality between the sexes by extension of rights for women. However, it is my personal opinion that we now have the same rights as men, so why go further?

There are so called feminists who seem to have forgotten the true purpose and are trying to take it to a higher level.

There is also s tension in feminism between those who want equal rights with men but at the same time want to be recognised as different because of their role in the home.

Some people take it to a stupid level. Take Germaine Greer for example, she takes offence if a book doesn't have a strong female charachter (eg. LotR) which is just plain stupid.
    I'd like to dispute that, I think women now have more rights than men.

Then why is it if a man and woman both go for the same job and are equal in every way the owman is giving the job to help readdress the balance?
    Mens car insurance much higher than womens if it was the other way around there would be all these legal cases!
    Just yesterday I was talking to one of the girls I work with and she had a screen saver up uf some bloke with his shirt off, if I done that with a woman on my screen there would be outrage!

The tables have turned too much- and women now have more rights than men!
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve
    I'd like to dispute that, I think women now have more rights than men.
    Then why is it if a man and woman both go for the same job and are equal in every way the owman is giving the job to help readdress the balance?
    Mens car insurance much higher than womens if it was the other way around there would be all these legal cases!
    Just yesterday I was talking to one of the girls I work with and she had a screen saver up uf some bloke with his shirt off, if I done that with a woman on my screen there would be outrage!
    If they are both equal then they have to pick one surely?

Women are better drivers in that they get into fewer accidents as a gender. Young people have higher insurance than old people, and people who have been driving longer. That would be ageist I suppose?
    I wouldn't mind a bloke who had a screensaver of a woman topless. But that isn't the same as a topless man because he isn'tshowing anything considered offsensive. If she had a pic of a bloke with no pants on then I am sure someone may have cause for concern!

If they are both equal then they have to pick one surely?

Women are better drivers in that they get into fewer accidents as a gender. Young people have higher insurance than old people, and people who have been driving longer. That would be ageist I suppose?
    I wouldn't mind a bloke who had a screensaver of a woman topless. But that isn't the same as a topless man because he isn'tshowing anything considered offsensive. If she had a pic of a bloke with no pants on then I am sure someone may have cause for concern!

If they are both equal they have to pick the woman, its address the imbalance.
    Women get into fewer accidents but put that down to ratio: the amount of hours young men spend on roads and more of them on roads then women, a lot of women are worse drivers! Think about it if it was the other way around?
    The age thing I dont dispute and agree with-that wasn't the issue!

I even said it to her about the screen saver messing and she agreed, even just one in a bikini, or even clothed!Its double standards!

And is in a lot of cases! Give it a few years and watch when men start coming forward for there wives beating them and all those sorts of things. Or if a woman rapes a man? The difference s men dont report it- and I have heard cases!
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve

Women get into fewer accidents but put that down to ratio: the amount of hours young men spend on roads and more of them on roads then women, a lot of women are worse drivers! Think about it if it was the other way around?
    Actually you're wrong. You're not putting the statistics into context. As a % of the number of women on the road, they get into fewer accidents. I don't knwo the exact figures but for example:
    x% of male drivers will have an accident in their life time compared to y% of female drivers.
    As much as i hate to break into an existing arguement...

Women are better drivers in that they get into fewer accidents as a gender.

This is partly true (women get into less accidents) and partly untrue (women are better drivers).

The reason the women have less accidents than men is that women tend not to drive as much. I'm not saying there are less women on the road, but they simply don't drive the same amount of miles.

By the mile driven, women have almost exactly the same number of accidents as men. The numbers vary slightly (both ways) year by year, but generaly its about even.

The next question is "is it fair to charge all men extra for insurance based on this?."

To clarify this i've changed the subject:
    If it were found that (purely for example) asian drivers travelled a lot more miles than drivers from any other ethnic background, had the same number of accidents per mile as any-one else in the country, so had more insurance claims than any-one else would it be fair to say all asian drivers had to pay more insurnace?

Maybe yes and mayby no... but the insurance companys would NEVER dare to ask people there ethnic background and charge them accordingly....
    From this i think its not right that they are comfortable to charge men more than women.

Incedentally RainbowBrite: There is a difference between some-one who supports feminism and some-one who support equale rights.
    A feminist things that women should get all the same rights as men.
    Some-one who believes in equale rights thinks that all people should have equle rights....

OK, it can be a subtle difference, but it is a very real one.