Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A few articles worth considering

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right on and so true. The only thing scary about the coming war is before it starts. If the US was hit by a major terrorist attack before we go to war, I think Americans would really hate Germany, Belguim and France for their delay tactics that might have cost American lives.
    Yes the war in Afghanistan worked out much better then was predicted, very good all round......:)

It is sad that leading anti-war figures seem as willing to dodge the issues as Blair and co.

But that doesn't mena these people speak for Iraqis. i read an article by an Iraqi professor recently who very strongly opposed the war.

I'll try and find it......
    How could a terrorist attack be possibly connected to a delay in the forthcoming war on Iraq pnj?

When are you going to understand and admit to yourself that the war on terror and forthcoming war on Iraq have absolutely nothing to do with each other?

If any Americans try to blame Germany, France, etc for a terrorist attack on US soil, then those invididuals are will have proven to have all the brainpower of pond amobea (just like their leader).
    The French, Germans, and Russians must be laughing at America with a cynical smile. America has fatally overextended itself and they know it. Personally I am all for the war. The MORE overextended the United States becomes the better.
    Originally posted by Aladdin

When are you going to understand and admit to yourself that the war on terror and forthcoming war on Iraq have absolutely nothing to do with each other?

Not nothing, Aladdin.
    Indeed, not nothing. Bush is able to utter both concepts in one sentence! THE LINK THE LINK!! :lol:
    I can see what the guy in the last article is saying but i also think he is stereotyping and that it is still nto an argument for war.

Everyone knows the Iraqi regime is unpleasant, the issue is whether a war is justified.

I do agree with him about the hypocrisy of our asylum-policies, I also agree we should change the sanctions regime and I also agree that there should be better worldwide monitoring of human rights..........
    Including those in Latin American countries currently on the US administration's finance list. If we are to be consistent that is.
    Exactly, to implement any ethical policy would require a massive change in the way our govts go about their business. I'm not sure they would be able, or willing to do so.......
    An "ethical policy" is a contradiction. Morality and Politics are two different things. Moral reasons are merely given by politicians to rationalize political goals and make war acceptable to otherwise inherently weak individuals. There is no such thing as a "human right" either. It is nothing more than a specious work of fiction.
    Of course human rights aren't 'real'

They are a philosophical concept designed to create a swt of 'rules' for governing the actions of individuals and institutions, rules that can be defended and justified and that provide goals to attain.......
    There is no more such a thing as a "human right" any more than there is a "demon in my sockdrawer." They simply do not exist, have never existed, and never will exist.
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    There is no more such a thing as a "human right" any more than there is a "demon in my sockdrawer." They simply do not exist, have never existed, and never will exist.

So, if I take away your "right to life" well, it doesn't matter, as you never had such a right anyway?

Well, I guess with that argument, you can justify concentration camps and gulags.
    Exactly Greenhat.

i can easily take way your human rights but they set a satndard for moral behaviour, they make it easier to categorise what is right and wrong, which helps to remove bias from decisions by institutions by giving them 'rules' to act within..........

Do you not understand the purpose of such abstractions?