Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone who's been on roaccutane....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on it for nearly 6 weeks now, some of it has cleared up but other places have broken out. I was just wondering if people who have been on it can sort of explain what they experienced at different stages ie. what changed in the first month, second month etc. and how long did it take before it really got a lot better? Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mmmm

I have acneish i get loads of little red spotty things on my face, shoulders etc but never really pussy do you think roaccutane would work for that?
    Thank god ive been blessed with near clearish skin.

I can only assume that that is the natural thing to happen. It wouldnt all clear up at once would it? Be patient and im sure itll be worth it in the end.
    Simbelyne, get your Gp to refer you to a dermatologist, the fact it's on your shoulders as well is a classic sign of acne, because it is a condition which affects the face/neck/shoulders/upper back. 85% of people who go on roaccutane are permanently cured, and of the other 15% who get a bit back, it is usually no more than half as bad as it was in the first place.

BTW re; my original post- no one around here at the moment who's been on it then?
    This was a previous thread done on it. It might be of some help to you :)
    Hi Museman

I took Roaccutane for 5 months from October 2000 - March 2001. In the first month, I mainly noticed a dry mouth and skin. In the second month some of the spots faded but some became more prominent. After that, all the spots faded (face quicker than back), and continue to fade even after treatment is stopped.

One warning - this drug has been linked very strongly to depression, and I believe that, although I was already depressed, this drug made me much much worse. :( Search for this type of thing on Google and you'll see what I mean.
    Cheers Lacymay. Yeah I know Matt I read up on tonnes of stuff about it before I started taking it, the thing is I think half the problem with this stuff is the fact that there is so much scare mongering about it, that people get so paranoid when they're on it and that in itself can make you extremely fed up and worried about what might happen. Anyway, 6 weeks on I feel fine in my head so hopefully all will be well, cheers.
    There is actually some medical evidence that it can cause damage to the outer lining of the brain.

I read somewhere (although this may be untrue) that the trials were headed by a professor who was later revealed to have had finincial links with the makers of the drug.

And anyway, most scientific research can be "bent" so that the results are put in a different light without actually lying...