Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Excema outbreak and bloodtest...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've had excema for as long as I can remember, but recently I've had a massive outbreak on the usual places, arms, shoulders etc, but it's also moving onto my back etc. Now, this is killing me because I hate it! :( I went to the uni doctors about 2 weeks ago and got a blood test and I got the results back today, but what the hell do they mean? It's all abbreviations and stuff that I can't make sense out of, and it also looks like I might be allergic to house dust mite, but the number next to that (lgE antibody titre) is higher than my cat allergen number, which i know I'm allergic to? What does that mean? Am I allergic to house dust mite as well? If so how can I get rid of it? Help me please!!! :confused::(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Excema outbreak and bloodtest...
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Am I allergic to house dust mite as well? If so how can I get rid of it? Help me please!!! :confused::(

I know how you feel hun, I've had eczema my whole life....and I'm 22 now so I think I've probably tried everything. They say it goes in 7 year cycles and I've found that to be true, I had it very bad til I was 7/8 then not at all until I was 15 when it got very very bad. Then it went again and came back when I was 21 and it's only just gone recently. Mine's only ever been on my legs, but even though I can hide it it's still so depressing to have to live with. :(

I'm also allergic to house dust which is a pain in the arse. Luckilly my mum is a cleaning freak so our house i spotless but if I stay at anyone's house I itch and as you can imagine when I lived on my own at uni it got worse! Get a mattress cover - they stop dust a bit, and try and hoover your room as much as poss.

As for treatments not a lot seems to work for me! The creams that the doctors give you stop it itching but dont get rid of it. In Boots there's a section with homeopathic tablets, there's some for eczema - I take the sulpher ones and they work quite well, they're only about 4quid. I also only use 'Simple' soap as anything else makes it worse, and I cover myself in E45 aswell! I also got told that most eczema is caused when your blood gets too hot and that makes you start itching - so obviously the creams that the doctors give your are pointless since you need to cool down your blood from the inside!

Last summer it got so bad that I tried Chinese Herbal medicine - it was my last resort! It ended up costing me 85quid for a load of tablets, but nothing has ever worked so quickly and now my eczema has toally gone. I know its a lot of money, but for me it was worth every penny and I'd gladly pay it again if I had to.:rolleyes:

Sorry this is quite a long post innit?! lol But hope some of it has helped, and feel free to PM me if you wanna know anything else - I know how horrible it is!
    Re: Excema outbreak and bloodtest...
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    I got the results back today, but what the hell do they mean? It's all abbreviations and stuff that I can't make sense out of

i'd go back to the doctors and ask him to translate. he also might have some advice about what you can do to avoid the things that you react to.

i get eczema too, but i get it pretty mildly. i feel for you. mine is bad enough.

also check out the national eczema society. they have information and loads of links....
    i also have had crappy eczema all my life too, tres depressing and i found when i had a blood test for glandular fever (which i have) my eczema came up badly, so people often find they have flare ups when they get a cold etc.