Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

#:: Drinking!! ::#

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
OK this probably sounds really lame and shallow but I'm curious and it's been bugging me. Everyone knows that students are often drunken piss heads who seem to have nothing better to do with their time and to be honest the idea quite appeals to me.

My question is: What is the experiences of all the students who start uni under the age of 18?

Is there any trouble in fufilling your role of a student?
Being embarassedly turned away from from the doors of the local watering hole as your fellow aged students casually stroll on leaving you wondering why your parents didn't consider this situation before bringing you into the world?!

I'm starting St Andrews in the autum and depressingly don't turn 18 untill next January.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Forgive my ignorance but why are you starting a year early?

If its because you have a super dooper brain, then i praise you! But why dont (or if its too late, didnt) you think about taking a gap year. Working and getting some cash together, or travelling, or rescuing poorly monkeys from trees in Monserrat?

That way it bridges the age gap and you get a positve experience before you go. Plus youll be at legale drinking age for freshers week
    Most places will serve you if you are seventeen..........
    I would like to refute your "all students are piss heads" stereotype.

However, I think you will have no trouble getting served alcohol, esp. at the union where they will probably assume you are the same age as everyone else, even if you look young, as long as you have your union card. The same thing goes for about town, if they ask for ID say you've only got your student card and they'll think you're 18 like everyone else!
    Scottish students often finish school a year earlier than the rest of us. There was a guy at my uni who had only just turned 17 when he started (his birthday was in July) and he looked really young too. When we all went to a union awards ceremony in town, he had to stand outside until the ceremony began and then as soon as it was over he had to leave. That was pretty mean, but most other people I know in your situation, haven't had any realy problems :)
    Originally posted by lennon
    Forgive my ignorance but why are you starting a year early?

Our systems diffrent. Could have started uni last year,would have only been 16. Know people who have done it. Anyways a was just curioius.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I would like to refute your "all students are piss heads" stereotype.

Yes, I read in my student paper the president of University of London Students' Union campaigning on this issue.
    Silly really, if only because the stereotype IS right. Where do people think stereotypes come from? Basis in fact, people! (Speaking as a student!) Of course not everyone is like this, I know loads who aren't, but in general students have more opportunity to do this, so more will.
    Ok, students are not pissheads, sure we binge drink, but personally speaking, I only do that once or twice a week, at other times, I'm either recovering from the night before and don't want to drink anymore or I can't afford to drink. More usually the latter. seriously, don't do what I did and spend like £400 in freshers week, control your initial drinking spree!

as for having problems getting in, I'm sure that if you make some friends who look a little bit older than you, and I'm sure that you will, most pubs will let you in. I've taken my 17 year old friend out drinking and he didn't have any problem getting in.
    i dout you will have any problems getting servered i get served in pubs and im only 16 and i dnt even think i look that older than i am.
    Originally posted by Jono_H
    Ok, students are not pissheads, sure we binge drink, but personally speaking, I only do that once or twice a week,
    You sound like a total piss head to me! I get drunk about once a month if I'm lucky! I just don't see the point.
    And you call yourself a geordie!! lol :lol:
    It depends on the rules that your university union imposes. I went to Uni in Glasgow and for our members under 18 they had a student card with a different colour badge on it I think to show that they are under 18.

Saying that once they got upstairs, we just bought drink for them and the bouncers never seemed to say anything against it.

It depends really if you are a young looking 17 or can pass for older, although generally the Union is "your" union and you can't be kept out of that but might have more problems getting into pubs.

Sure it'll only be for the first semester, so I really wouldn't worry about it!!