Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blair says something sensible shock!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/renewable/Story/0,2763,902504,00.html

Just when I had built up a healthy loathing for the man he reveals soem admirable views.......

Do you agree that poverty and environmental damage are as dangerous as terrorism?

What should the world do, are we getting our priorities wrong?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think one has to preclude the other. The US budget Bush proposed included billions to fight AIDS in Africa.

The UN needs to do a better job regarding Africa's wars. But to tell you the truth if "the site" is a judge of interest, I don't think Africa holds the interest of Westerners. Whenever I've posted something about Africa...it sinks off the page in a day. People aren't interested and that's the first step to fighting poverty.
  • Options
    Its a shame that we in the West tend to bury our heads in the sand when faced with the problems of disease, hunger and poverty whilst we waste extraordinary amounts every day.

I think it is imperative that we tackle the AIDS crisis in Africa before it gets even further out of control. Rest assured our ignorance and lack of action today will come back and haunt us tomorrow...
  • Options
    But is putting aside a bit of your budget going to deal with the problem?

I very much doubt it. These problems need massive effort which isn't going in.

I agree that media interest is low on some of the very important issues but theres not much we can do about that.

(Surely these issues drop away because you post so much Iraq/TWAT stuff? ;) )
  • Options
    Well, I just view the Internet as a place where something should quickly attract your attention. So to bury a new facet of a problem within an existing threat doesn't fit this medium or how it's used. But you're right, I probably do kill off some of my own topics. Not that I believe we can change each other's minds, but I do find no one wants to discuss Africa on the site. Someone wanted to discusss the Ivory Coast War with me on the site but I said that topic will drop right off. And it did. And that's a big war.

I even tried to put something eye-catching on about the UN trying to deal with the issue of cannibalism in the Congo during the last/current? war. But no one gave a crap on the site.
  • Options
    Lets see how this one does...:)

And anyway, even if some people don't care it doean't stop thiose that do having a proper debate and trying to make others see the importance.......
  • Options
    Here's something to keep this thread going.

Is Green Peace losing its focus?

I read about another incident of Green Peace taking over some Gas station in the UK. Sounds like, I guess, a good activity for a peace group. But we need people focused on the environment. I'm a surfer and the quality of the world's oceans is very important to me. And it requires vigilance. Some people that support Green Peace might not if they get too involved with anti-war stuff.
  • Options
    The petrol depot that was targeted was Esso- owned by Exxon.

Exxon has been the subject of a (not well observed I'm afraid) boycott campaign in here for their utter disregard for the environment and endless greed regarding oil exploitation in Alaska and the Artic region. As you probably know Exxon has been furiously lobbying the US government to be allowed to drill there. Apparently there are big oil reserves underneath and the low-life scumbags are just dying to get their dirty hands on it.

The actual protest yesterday was about the war on Iraq and the role activists think Exxon has in pushing for war. Apparently they are to benefit the most of all oil companies if a war happens and the US gains control of Iraqi oilfields.

I don't blame Exxon more than other oil giants- they're all have interests and all have put equal pressure on the US government when it comes to oil issues. But their continuing interest in Alaska and the artic region makes me sick. I am one of the few boycotting their stations and couldn't care less if the company went bust.
  • Options
    that's good Aladdin. Bush is all for big business in this area...even if there's some truth to his worries about our dependence on foreign sources in the US. I feel if he was really worried about that, he put a huge tax on the big SUV's so many Americans drive.
  • Options
    He wouldnt do that for his own political expedience pnj. Much more in line with his hawkish policies to find a convenient scapegoat with sufficient oil reserves to exploit and keep the party going as long as possible.

The pipeline now able to be built through Afghanistan to Turkmenistan oil is just another corporate victory for his cabal. Not that i expect you to take any notice of that fact or how it all fits into his ongoing agenda.
  • Options
    did notice that report about the Afghan pipeline:p
  • Options
    I just knew this would move on to Iraq/TWAT.........

:( :banghead:

I know it is the most important issue but is there any chance we could go a whole thread discussing something different (ie the subject of the thread in the first place) ?
  • Options
    Thought you were a headbanger Toadborg. I can picture singing AC/DC "I'm on a highway to hell."
  • Options
    :crazyeyes

:rolleyes:

;)

Oh well.........
  • Options
    I would like to point out the West is ENTIRELY responsible for Robert Mugabe and the cesspool South Africa is today.
  • Options
    Never heard of an ethnic group called "Ulster" either. Are they a legacy from the old high kings of Ulster??

Kind of. Ulster is the 6 counties of Northern Ireland and 3 from ROI. Ulster is a different ethnic mix to the rest of ireland. Ulster is one of the major places that Vikings settled and the major influence is the Scots who were transported to Ulster to keep the peace.

I am an Ulsterman. It exists.

JP Our Histories are seperate and yet intertwined. Which is why we unite in our unification and our individuality.