Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Another case of spitting claims of French and German financial interests whilst claiming that we the US are only interested in world security. Sorry Greenie, this is just more half truth and spin which ignores the truth of our own greedy oil companies chomping at the bit to get their hands on that "2nd largest reserve in the world", as well OUR military industrial complex wanting to be the only weapons proliferators in the world. If any case is to be credible, then its time we stated clearly that OUR vested interests are what we after. Peace and security is just nice sounding rhetoric for mom and pop jones in the heartland who think Washington is a bastion of justice and goodness.

You of all people should have no illusions about that.
    Yeah, we all know you have much better insights into the world than John McCain. :rolleyes:
    Containment has failed and the other issue is why should the US and UK hold up a policy which benefits all Western nations.

I've been tired of the freeloaders for a long time, knocking America and relying on our protection.

Since the problem in this new age is the sharing of methods and technologies of terror, Saddam, North Korea, Iran, and Syria pose serious problems and must be met with sanctions that work or war.
    I think you're right PNJ about North Korea. Scary place. The cult of the leader there is almost unbelievable.

I just hope that with all the fuss over saddam at the moment, people won't forget that North Korea may be in the process of building a nuclear bomb. We need to somehow deal with this new menace.....
    Oh of course the French and germans are doing it because they migth lose money, but the US and Uk are doing it for the safety of Iraqi civilians.

Answer me this: if the US and the UK are so interested in the persecuted civilians, as they so profoundly claim, why (a) have theyu placed an embargo on medicine to Iraq and (b) why arent we attacking Turkey?

Most of the persecuted Iraqis are Kurdish, who just so hapen to inhabit swathes of Turkey too. And, guess what, NATO want to strengthen Turkey, and the UK are sponsoring companies to go and build dams it Turkish Kurdistan, which just happen to obliterate the Kurdish areas of land.

And as for security considerations, Saddam is not a threat to the West, he could just about hit Israel but thats their problem not ours. Nations like North Korea need stopping more, but, hey, the US cant trounce them. Same with Algeria, who must be ten times more dangerous than Iraq- the French certainly think so.

I personally hope that its another Vietnam in Iraq. Itd serve the US right.
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Yeah, we all know you have much better insights into the world than John McCain. :rolleyes:

Because hes a senator doesnt mean his opinion is better, in fact its often worse. Look at Newt Gingrich...except you probably like him.

That scares me.
    I may not have as much insight as Senator McCain, but neither do I have his money nor his own corporate backing and vested interests, Greenie. It isnt only about what they say but why they adopt the positions they do that must be factored in. Youre old enough and hopefully wise enough to know that! ;)
    Originally posted by Kermit

Because hes a senator doesnt mean his opinion is better, in fact its often worse. Look at Newt Gingrich...except you probably like him.

That scares me.

It does mean he has access to significantly more data than you or I or Clandestine. And in McCain's case, he has a bit more experience as well.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I may not have as much insight as Senator McCain, but neither do I have his money nor his own corporate backing and vested interests, Greenie. It isnt only about what they say but why they adopt the positions they do that must be factored in. Youre old enough and hopefully wise enough to know that! ;)

Yeah, that must be why he lead the push for campaign reform... :rolleyes: