Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should the US commit troops in the Phillipines.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The US is committing a lot of troops to defeat, Abu Sayyaf, a Muslim separatist group with ties to Al Qaeda. I wish the Asian countries and Australia would join in since they are affected by this group even more than the US.

Comments

• Options
    The war against terrorism has been non-existent so far.

I think Australia said they would aid the US during any action to curb terrorists.
  • Options
    Re: Should the US commit troops in the Phillipines.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The US is committing a lot of troops to defeat, Abu Sayyaf, a Muslim separatist group with ties to Al Qaeda. I wish the Asian countries and Australia would join in since they are affected by this group even more than the US.

What makes you think they aren't?

Monocrat,

I take it you think everything that happens in the world appears in the news, so if it isn't in the news, it didn't happen?
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't know that Greenhat. It seems like the US is really aggressively going after every bit of Al Qaida worldwide. I've been reading about this group since before 911. In fact, I kept expecting to hear that they've hit a beach resort in Thailand.
  • Options
    Al Qaeda is still at large and no one knows if Bin Laden is dead or alive.

The 'war against terror' is only being conducted on a small scale if the enemy is still 'out there'. Tell me, why are US military personnel STILL in Afghanistan?
  • Options
    Monocrat,

How much do you know about setting up a cell structure terrorist organization?

Now, tell me how much you know about destroying that same organization?

And unless you are in favor of Afghanistan returning to the forefront of being a place that supports terrorism, troops (not just American) will remain there for a while.

Btw, the combat in Afghanistan included Americans, Canadians, Australians, British and Germans in active combat roles. A great number of other nations (as well as the above nations) were involved in support roles, which are every bit as important as the combat roles. A soldier who hasn't been supplied with food or ammunition isn't doing a lot of fighting.
  • Options
    Anything to spur more terrorism and spend more money, by all means, go right on ahead. Perpetual war for perpetual peace. The sooner the house of cards falls the better!
  • Options
    Liberals in the West are more scary than Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    Actually non-thinking drones who swallow whatever Washington wants them believe without question are scarier than Al Qaeda and liberals combined.
  • Options
    The U.S. Government is scarier than al-Qaeda and a million Saddam Husseins. Is there actually a difference between the so-called liberals and conservatives in Washington?