Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

100 most influential people of the millenium

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd have thought that Alexander Graham Bell might have made an appearance as the creator of the telephone, or Marconi as creator of the wireless?
    What about Frank Whittle, creator of the jet engine? Hmmm.
    DOH! Bell is there, misread it. Ok, change his with John Logie Baird, inventor of the television then.
    I hate some of those people.
    Like who?

The bloodthirsty dictator ones, I assume?
    Yes. And Nelson Mandella. I hate that communist. And the US led sanctions helped that ingrate and all he does is make the US the villian. Screw him. Why doesn't he look at his own country. A country where Black men rape 14 year old Black girls as a way to prevent AIDS. It's a sex with a virgin myth.
    You really are an idiot sometimes.......

Seeing as your 'world awareness' only began in 2000 and you use this as an excuse for not knowing anything why do you feel yourself able to comment on nelson mandela?

In what way was he a communist, did he crtiscise US policy :eek2: and is thus the great satan.

It amazes me how you have the cheek to critiscise the anti-war bunch for not condemning Saddam enough when the you are on here critiscing the French, Germans and Nelson mandela more than anyone else.........
    Nelson Mandela is constantly twisting situations to make the US look bad. The latest is the war with Iraq. And he said Bush is not right in the head.

"You are with us, or against us."

Bush

I agree and could he have been any more honest with the world?
    Toadborg if anyone doesn't want to help the US fine. But then don't take our money and don't export to us. And for honesty's sake, don't call yourself a friend of America.
    You do realise that your hatred of Nelson Mandela puts you on a par with Nazis, Apartheid supporters and other such types... Your labelling of Mandela as a communist is a laughable attempt to stain the reputation of man who symbolises defiance and hope against evil to everyone. Not that calling someone a commie is much of an insult to anyone who doesn't live in their own paranoid and blinded world.

You seem to believe that anyone who dares criticise the United States government is a fanatic who hates America. As far as I remember Mandela has spoken out against Bush's contempt for the World Summit, America's cynical policy towards Israel and now the push for war on Iraq.

Well I've got news for you: the majority of people on earth, including many Americans, completely agree on such issues. So don't even start to suggest that the world is out to get you or that everyone hates America. Please stop insulting everyone's intelligence.
    "You are with us, or against us."
    You seem to put much value to the above statement. Presumably if Hitler had uttered such words you would be praising the man's honesty as well... :rolleyes:
    pnj, maybe you need to understand that Bush may be the one who has the wrong agenda. Don't be so quick to defend him simply because he's American. We've had some real slimeballs in the White House and you need to develop some more critical thinking than swallowing so readily the spin you are being fed on the tv.

Being against Bush, if you start to do some research into who he has surrounded himself with, might indeed be the most moral and politically sound choice for our nation and for the world.

Nelson Mandela for one has more integrity and statesmanship than Dubyah or his cronies could ever hope to achieve.
    Mandela also led a lot of anti-Ameican stuff during that council on racism. And turned it into an American bashing session. And the conference all stood up and applauded when Zimbabwe's Mug whatever leader came into the room. Even with full knowledge of the murders of White farmers...some of whom had been on the land for 100 years....not to mention the black opposition leaders he had killed. So admire Mandela...bull shit.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Mandela also led a lot of anti-Ameican stuff during that council on racism.

This may have been connected to his direct experience of one of the world's most racist nations which this world has ever seen. In terms of the anti-racism cause, Nelson Mandela is up there with some of your countrymen, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King.

Many of us united behind his name in condemnation of racial violence and racist laws. Huge numbers marched regularly in support of him and it truly was a world event, on the day he was finally released - a day that many of us thought we might never see. At least, without him being in a box.

Just becasue a man has the audacity to condemn your country does not make him a bad person. I suggest you read a little about him - and Steve Biko - before you condemn him.
    "most racist country ever" talking about your country there?

I admire that you marched for him. I know what he did for his country. But I don't like him now.

Just remember something, the deeds on the land taken from the Indians in America say: King George. And the manifest from the slave ships had Europeans on them too.

Personally, I think it's stupid to go back in history to make a countryseem inferior today. Do you think anyone in the UK today would put up with what Queen Elizabeth did to Catholics? Or Queen Mary did to Prostestants? The religious wars were a different time and civilizations evolve. They showed your House of Commons on t.v., there weren't many or any Blacks.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    "most racist country ever" talking about your country there?

Actually I was talking about South Africa.

Worth pointing out that the first country to outlaw slavery was...

Well, see if you can guess ;)
    Just remember something, the deeds on the land taken from the Indians in America say: King George. And the manifest from the slave ships had Europeans on them too.

Personally, I think it's stupid to go back in history to make a countryseem inferior today. Do you think anyone in the UK today would put up with what Queen Elizabeth did to Catholics? Or Queen Mary did to Prostestants? The religious wars were a different time and civilizations evolve.

Do you think I am proud of what my ancestors did?

Perhaps a little acceptance, like that, from the US would go along way towards avoiding some of the enemies you guys have made. We know we have done wrong in the past, and we've said so. Just wish you could do the same.
    They showed your House of Commons on t.v., there weren't many or any Blacks.

Nope, disgraceful isn't it?

Of course, you cannot force some of our ethnic poulation to stand for election, which may also be an issue there.

So, how many CEOs of the top 100 companies on the NYSE are black?
    Not many as it turns out, but that's beside the issue. Nelson Mandela is a great person, and rightly deserves his spot in the 100 most influential people of the millenium. However, what disturbs me is how he's been labeled. He was unjustly imprisoned for over 25 years because of his anti-apartheid stance. He was guilty of sabotage, which he did admit, but he was most certainly not a communist, those are slanderous lies. In case you were unaware, South Africa is still a democratic and capitalistic nation. And he had every right to criticize the USA, it was American CIA agents that tipped off South African security police about his whereabouts and his disguise. He deserves more respect than we're dealing him, you wouldn't dare disrespect Abraham Lincoln the way you have Nelson Mandela. And his political obligations aren't even important! It's his message for an equal and unified South Africa, freedom for all, not a fortunate few, that are important. Something that we Americans take for granted.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    5 years!!!
    Old thread is old.