Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Calling the French cowards, on French radio.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What Powell said:

"It cannot be a satisfactory solution for [U.N. weapons] inspections just to continue forever because some countries are afraid of stepping up to the responsibility of imposing the will of the international community," Powell yesterday told a French radio station.

What I said: Very cool. :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Read: will of the US administration. (spin duly translated) :p
  • Options
    You know why I laugh at the French. If you remember cartoons or funny movies, the person who acts pompous and then trips or something just makes you burst out laughing. Well that's how the French strike me. For instance, they went on and on about their forte in diplomacy, and then we read Chirac telling Europeans nations to "shut up." It just made me burst out laughing. It sounded like the way my friends and I talk to each other.
  • Options
    Frankly, I don't think anyone pays much attention to what Powell has to say. I think everyone can make their minds up about what is more cowardly: oppose the US administration or suck up to it like certain little heads of government no one has hardly heard of.

You should have more respect for the French pnj. Remember, if it wasn't for them you'd still be a British colony. :p
  • Options
    I'm an English American.:naughty:
  • Options
    Such a claim wont even buy you a cup of tea in London In afraid dear boy.
  • Options
    Why yes bartender I will have another one.

See how much y-o-u know Clandestine.:p
  • Options
    The French gave your country most of its ideology!

They have taken a brave stand against an all-powerful 'axis of capital'
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    The French gave your country most of its ideology!

Really?

I'm sure John Locke is rolling in his grave since it seems you just called him French.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Read: will of the US administration. (spin duly translated) :p

Read: will of the UN, as supported by 17 seperate resolutions.

(anti-US spin duly translated) ;):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Really?

I'm sure John Locke is rolling in his grave since it seems you just called him French.

The French Revolution?
    Tom Paine? (Heavily Influenced by French Revolution Idea's)

The war of Independence was fought along very similar ideological line as the revolution : as was the civil war...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

The French Revolution?
    Tom Paine? (Heavily Influenced by French Revolution Idea's)

The war of Independence was fought along very similar ideological line as the revolution : as was the civil war...

Maybe you should look up the dates of the American Revolution and the French Revolution. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Since I'll be gone for the next few day or so...

American Revolution: Began April 18. 1775 (Battles of Lexington and Concord), Declaration of Independence in July of 1776

French Revolution: Considered to have begun 10 August 1792

And it is difficult to see how any of the ideals of America and the founders could have come from such thugs as Maximilien Robespierre.

Among the political, philosophical and religious influences on the founding fathers were John Locke (very obvious to anyone who reads the Declaration of Independence), Thomas Hobbes, and Martin Luther. Jean Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant may have had some impact, but cannot be considered anywhere close to as influential as the three above.

Thomas Paine drew heavily on the concepts outlined by Martin Luther to appeal to his audience, and added concepts from the works of Thomas Hobbes and John Locke as well as David Hume in some of his later works (post revolution). However, most of his ideas were his own, no one elses, and certainly not those of any Frenchmen. Rather, the French liked his ideas so much that they made him a citizen and elected him to the National Assembly. Thomas Paine was so popular with Robespierre that Robespierre had him imprisoned because he dared vote against the murder of Louis XIV.
  • Options
    And Thomas Jefferson was influenced by Voltaire and Montesque (separation of church and state).
  • Options
    Since I'll be gone for the next few day or so...

American Revolution: Began April 18. 1775 (Battles of Lexington and Concord), Declaration of Independence in July of 1776

French Revolution: Considered to have begun 10 August 1792

And it is difficult to see how any of the ideals of America and the founders could have come from such thugs as Maximilien Robespierre.

Among the political, philosophical and religious influences on the founding fathers were John Locke (very obvious to anyone who reads the Declaration of Independence), Thomas Hobbes, and Martin Luther. Jean Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant may have had some impact, but cannot be considered anywhere close to as influential as the three above.

Thomas Paine drew heavily on the concepts outlined by Martin Luther to appeal to his audience, and added concepts from the works of Thomas Hobbes and John Locke as well as David Hume in some of his later works (post revolution). However, most of his ideas were his own, no one elses, and certainly not those of any Frenchmen. Rather, the French liked his ideas so much that they made him a citizen and elected him to the National Assembly. Thomas Paine was so popular with Robespierre that Robespierre had him imprisoned because he dared vote against the murder of Louis XIV.

*Blushes*
  • Options
    Read anything by Voltaire, Pnj? It is possible that Jefferson was influenced by Voltaire in regards to religious intolerance, but seperation of church and state? Given the background of the majority of the colonists, it hardly seems likely that religious intolerance wasn't very well understood, and even more unlikely that the concept of a state religion wasn't understood as a danger (which is what the Bill of Rights specifically bans). The letters Jefferson wrote later in his life do not necessarilly reflect the ideas of the American Revolution or the Constitutional Convention.

Montesquieu definitely influenced the structure of the American government as reflected in the US Constitution. That means it is more likely that he influenced others (James Madison, George Mason, Roger Sherman) not Jefferson, since Jefferson was not a member of the Convention.
  • Options
    Oh, at Jefferson's house in Virginia they showed he had the complete works of Voltaire. But then Voltaire was living in England when he wrote them. Separation of church and state was Montesque(your spelling). But as Englishmen, they could have been influenced by all the religious wars. I can't believe I'm saying anything good about the French right now. Chirac said again today he's against war.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Oh, at Jefferson's house in Virginia they showed he had the complete works of Voltaire. But then Voltaire was living in England when he wrote them. Separation of church and state was Montesque(your spelling). But as Englishmen, they could have been influenced by all the religious wars. I can't believe I'm saying anything good about the French right now. Chirac said again today he's against war.

Need to actually read Montesquieu, Pnj. His best works are about the structure of government. And again, Thomas Jefferson was not part of the Constitutional Convention that wrote the US Constitution.

By the way, I have the complete works of Karl Marx and Adolf Hitler. Does that mean I am influenced by them? Jefferson was a well-read man, and having the complete works of Voltaire at Monticello is really not a big surprise. I expect he also had the complete works of John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Immanual Kant, and the Greek classics. He had about 6,000 books.
  • Options
    Its funny to watch America of all nations knock the French for being cowards. For starters, look who completely dipped their ground forces out of the recent war in Kosovo in order to let the Europeans take the brunt of the risk. The Americans put their troops into Eastern Kosovo where there was less hostile activity. The U.S. also refused to intervene in FYROM when the KLA terrorists went on a rampage there recently as well, leaving it up to the Europeans of course. In Afghanistan, the most recent war America was utterly reliant upon the Northern Alliance mercenaries, rightly afraid of sending in its own pathetic ground forces so cavalierly, after the debacle of America's recent retreat from Somalia of all nations, after being hit with stones! Blackhawk Down right? The Americans were also PAYING the French to fight in Vietnam, to retain their presence there, for America wanted to interfere but was AFRAID of doing so with its own ground forces, who were quite handsomely whiped by the LOL god damn Viet Cong rice pattie farmers. America RETREATED from Lebanon in the 1980s and being of course afraid to fight the Red Army face to face, hired mercenaries like Osama bin Laden to do the fighting for them to over a million casualities, while of course taking credit for his victory over the USSR. America did experience two STUNNING victories over LOL Grenada and Panama in the 1980s. America fought to a DRAW in Korea and interferred in World War 2 only several years into the war, having goaded and coaxed the British and French into declaring war on the Germans, and once again only after it was itself attacked over two years later. Hitler was not stupid. Better to go ahead and attack America in a 1941 than to sit around waiting for an American invasion years later, after everyone else had done the dying, like when America intervened in World War 1. Rather than fight the Indians America's generals often massacared their food supply, the Buffalo, in order to starve them to death. The French were essential in the American victory in the War of Independence, and again later in 1812, after the New England states quit the War of 1812 and attempted to secede at the Hartford Convention, only to later find out Andy Jackson had carried the day having saved them from CANADA!! America did win the War Between the States but only after resorting to methods of pillage, plunder, and rape so disgusting and dishonourable European nations reacted by calling for the very first Geneva Convention, to create a code of civilized warfare, a reaction to Yankee barbarism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    Hitler was not stupid.

I take it that you support the decision to invade the Soviet Union.

I could point out the inaccuracies in your post, but given the source, I don't think anyone here really believes it is accurate anyway.
  • Options

I could point out the inaccuracies in your post, but given the source, I don't think anyone here really believes it is accurate anyway.

Would be MUCH less time consuming to point out where the comedy act related to reality. And that would be...
    :confused:

BTW > (goes to topic) An important piece of history is currently being auctioned on Ebay: be the person to own a rare French Battle Flag!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2160749477&category=4077

Rumor has it THIS is the real reason that the French refuse to get into the fight... their inability to resurrect a sufficient quantity of battle flags...