Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How the Iraqi war will unfold.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
An unrelenting volley of satellite- and laser-guided bombs, falling in concert with hundreds of cruise missiles launched from U.S. Navy ships, will blast into military headquarters and the barracks of Saddam's elite troops in and around Baghdad.

At the same time, the lights will go out -- literally -- for military commanders and Saddam's security forces, whose radios, telephones and computers will be zapped by powerful new weapons known as ''e-bombs.'' These bombs use electromagnetic energy to generate crippling power surges.

What follows the barrage of several thousand smart weapons will be the kind of war the United States has never fought on this scale before: a rapid, violent invasion whose main goals aren't to seize territory or destroy a large army. Instead, if all goes according to plan, U.S. forces will kill or capture Saddam and anyone keeping him in power, while leaving Iraq's regular military, its civilians and most cities and towns untouched. If it works, it will be the model for U.S. wars to pre-empt terrorist threats for decades to come.

It's all going to be on film, cause the U.S. is giving the media unprecedented access...whatever that means.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: How the Iraqi war will unfold.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    and anyone keeping him in power,

!!!!!

Erm...OK

Heres what John Pilger said about deaths in the last gulf war....

The urgency is the saving of lives. First, let us stop calling it a "war". The last time "war" was used in the Gulf was in 1991 when the truth was buried with more than 200,000 people. Attacking a 70-mile line of trenches, three American brigades, operating at night, used 60-ton armoured earthmovers to bury alive teenage Iraqi conscripts, including the wounded and those surrendering and retreating. Survivors were slaughtered from the air. The helicopter gunship pilots called it a "turkey shoot".

Of the 148 Americans who died, a quarter of them were killed by Americans. Most of the British were killed by Americans. This was known as "friendly fire". The civilians who were killed, whose deaths were never recorded by the American military because it was "not policy", were "collateral damage".
    No civilian casualties my arse. We'll bomb infrastructure facilities which will kill hundreds if not thousands both in the attack and through the loss of vital supplies to populated areas.

How easy for you to post in a tone that glorifies this from the safety of your nice beachfront community. Id give anything to hear what youd be saying as a young Iraqi watching his world blown to bits by yet another US invasion. I suspect youd be one of the first to sign up to the first extremist group that came along out of the hatred youd feel.
    This time, Saddam is going to use 10 year old kids who are trained to shoot and kill. The military is telling the soldiers if you see these kids, kill them because they are trained to kill you. They're like the Hitler youth.
    So they feed the 'military' this propaganda so they don't feel bad about killing kids! ...Its ok Guys..thy're trained to kill, its ok to slaughter them...ANYWAY...you said

'while leaving Iraq's regular military, its civilians and most cities and towns untouched'

at least be consistent, or recognise the inconsistencies in the words of your leaders....you are a might might brainwashed boy!!

and whats your reply to the words I posted earlier ...

"The urgency is the saving of lives. First, let us stop calling it a "war". The last time "war" was used in the Gulf was in 1991 when the truth was buried with more than 200,000 people. Attacking a 70-mile line of trenches, three American brigades, operating at night, used 60-ton armoured earthmovers to bury alive teenage Iraqi conscripts, including the wounded and those surrendering and retreating. Survivors were slaughtered from the air. The helicopter gunship pilots called it a "turkey shoot".

Of the 148 Americans who died, a quarter of them were killed by Americans. Most of the British were killed by Americans. This was known as "friendly fire". The civilians who were killed, whose deaths were never recorded by the American military because it was "not policy", were "collateral damage"."
    I agree with what Jack Straw said:

"It is for him to prove that he has, once and for all, given up what the whole world knows that he has," he told the Royal Institute for International Affairs.

"Inspectors cannot achieve containment without co-operation. If co-operation is denied, then the UN Security Council has already warned that force has to be used.

"Otherwise, let us be clear: Iraq will again use these terrible weapons.

"This is a key part of the moral case: preventing Iraq launching more wars of aggression; and dealing definitively with a tyrant who continues to flout international law."
    Once again - not answering my questions.....you'll go far in politics!
    We all know very well by now that you believe the spin, pnj, youve made that sadly obvious. What is also clear is that you lack both the wisdom and experience to look behind the spin at the real issues being papered over by the half truths and hypocrisies.

For Straw, Powell or any of our leaders to pntificate on morality when our own governments armed him, encouraged him and now try to wash their hands of their own complicity and guilt is beyond shameful to downright criminal. You can't comprehend this though obviously.

You simply nod your head like a well programmed drone and refrain from questioning our own leaders who dare speak of preventing anyone else's instigation of wars of aggression while simultaneously gearing up for yet another in the long roster of our own instigated wars of aggression.

I have to agree with byny, youll go far as a Republican politician.
    PNJ...why not sit down and read some books...rather than relying on soundbites and spin.

Try Brave new world...read it from cover to cover, then think about what the world might be like if it was really like that, then think about how perhaps it might just be a bit like that after all.....Don't get sucked in to believing one argument, explore all sides.

You are being taken in by very clever propaganda and its not good for your developing mind.

We've said this before...travel a bit, meet some new people...it may just save you...at the very least it make knock your racism on the head!!
    I agree about the death and horrors and waste of war BYNY.

And the American Muslims in our Special Ops are playing the most important role against Al Qaeda and taking the biggest chance by blending in with Al Qaeda in a way I never could even when I'm older.
    Is that meant to prove your xzenophobia is non existant...I have no Idea why you just posted that...it means nothing and makes no sense...And you still haven't answered any of the questions asked.
    I guess thats because you never ask any questions yourself...you are unquestiong fodder for those trying to brainwash you..
    ASK SOME QUESTIONS for goodness sake!! you owe it to yourself..
    Be brave!! dont be blind
    Re: How the Iraqi war will unfold.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    if all goes according to plan

Pnj,

Do you have any idea how long battle plans last?

The military has a saying related to plans. Why don't you see if you can find out what it is.

The media is going to put out lots of stuff about what's going to happen. So will people with Clandestine's point of view.

Fact is, none of them know. Neither does anyone in the military. The only thing we do know is that the US and UK military will adapt to the situation and win. That's what we do.
    Greenhat, do you think the media put that out to scare Iraq? My dad was a marine. SNAFU is the word that comes to mind.:naughty:
    I agree with you to a point Greenie, none of us knows what will come to pass in particular terms given that none can see the future with perfect clarity. However, "those with Clandestine's point of view" as you put it, base their assessment on lengthy global comparison's of conflicts and outcomes in the long running record of such military interventionism and political manipulation.

Just as you undertake your tasks and duties with as much experience and data available to you, so to do those of us in the sphere of political analysis.

Given recent indications that the oft rhetorically heralded "democracy" will be delayed in favour of US military governorship, it is strongly considered that regional conflicts will only escalate adding to the destabilisation of the reason due to the Bush camp's lack of clear long term planning. One reason why even many retired senior military figures have repeatedly argued "not this war, not at this time".
    One thing I guarantee will happen is that, at some point, a bomb will miss it's target and hit a civillian area.

The Iraq propaganda machine will sweep into full effect, allowing western journos some access to this site - whilst ensuring that there are some kids clothes and at least one teddy or doll on view for the cameras to see. There will also be claims as to the number of lives lost.

The media will naturally report this and condemn the US for it's actions. This one bomb will become the focus of massive attention and will be used to further the aims of anti-war protesters...
    I suspect there will be more than the one stray bomb MoK and the Iraqi machine wont be the only one around to verify the number of civilian casualties, if they are even around to do as much. More than likely theyll be looking for the nearest escape route this time knowing that this Bush aint stopping short of Baghdad.
    Wars are ugly and those who are against are going to concentrate on the civilian losses and give them maximum exposure. But this is to be expected. The majority of people object to war because people will suffer- although they are many who also object to the legitimacy of it, even if casualties were kept to a minimum.

Wars are fought differently for political and ethical reasons. We've gone from sending tens of thousands of foot soldiers to their deaths daily, to mass bombing civilians and cities, to trying to avoid civilian casualties and now to avoid risking the lives of our soldiers at almost any price. Cruise missiles and guided bombs are preferable to carpet bombing but there is a lot of room for improvement accuracy-wise. I believe in Afghanistan or Serbia the success rate turned out to be around 70% (perhaps Greenie can confirm this) and if we are about to launch 3,000 missiles in the first two days alone like some reports say it could mean several hundred of them could hit civilian areas instead. So you can expect many to complain about this indiscriminate bombing solely designed to obliterate the Iraqi defences without risking the lives of a single US/British soldier, and that as a result will cost the lives of countless civilians.

Saddam did a very good job in propaganda war in 91, but that revolved around the bombing of that bunker. If memory serves the Americans were aware the bunker was full of women and children but bombed it anyway because they'd seen an Iraqi government car stopping by and a group of Iraqi high-rank officers getting in the bunker.
    In Afghanistan, the accuracy rate was 97.4%. Today's weapons almost always hit where they are told to. The problem sometimes is that where they are told to isn't the right place (the controller who sent his own location, for example).
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    the controller who sent his own location, for example

:eek: What happened?
    Originally posted by Aladdin

:eek: What happened?

Sent GPS coordinates for his location instead of the target. Didn't have a good day...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Wars are ugly and those who are against are going to concentrate on the civilian losses and give them maximum exposure. But this is to be expected. The majority of people object to war because people will suffer- although they are many who also object to the legitimacy of it, even if casualties were kept to a minimum.
    I don't only object to the civillian casualties, military casualties are just as bad as civillian ones, especially when the military don't have any choice but to fight (one of the reasons I oppose conscription).
    The media will concentrate on whatever gives them the most sales, which would be civillian casualties.