Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

About logging in as someone else...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Hey all,

Sorry about the delay in this but it took some time to sort out...

Some of you have been logging in as other users. The only way this could happen is if the 2 users in question use the same ISP. It is a problem with the proxy of the ISP.

In order to sort this problem out I've set the boards to deal betther with proxies.

Also: Would the users having this problem please do the following!

Go to the 'user cp' section and go to 'Edit Options'

Then Set both 'Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)' and 'Browse board with cookies?' to yes.

This will ensure that it's not a problem with your ISP's proxy.

if you still experience logging in as someone else, please post here with specifics and I'll sort it out ASAP!

Cheers,
Reg
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok, well im not logged in as anyone else, but someone else has logged in as me. theres a post in relationships, and someones posted usind my name, i think it was katlilly. not sure how thats happened.
    I'm having the same problem. There seem to be a whole load of PMs that keep coming to 'Leon' under my user name in my PM box and a load of buddies which I certainly didnt set up and a load of sent PMs. This Leon guy says he is in London and I am in the West of the country and using this from work so how can someone be using the same ISP as me?

Sorry - tis a bit annoying you see!
    It's a bit late really, but just to blow your theory out of the water - Diesel was logging in as me. He lives in the states. I live in Switzerland. Now I'll be damned if we use the same ISP.

Anything else that could cause it?
  • DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Originally posted by Turtle
    It's a bit late really, but just to blow your theory out of the water - Diesel was logging in as me. He lives in the states. I live in Switzerland. Now I'll be damned if we use the same ISP.

Bad code?
    Re: About logging in as someone else...
    Originally posted by reggie_reg
    Go to the 'user cp' section and go to 'Edit Options'

Then Set both 'Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)' and 'Browse board with cookies?' to yes.

This will ensure that it's not a problem with your ISP's proxy.

Mine was set as all that, but someone still logged in as me and changed my profile. If it was just an accidental post under my name it wouldn't be so bad, but when they start changing your profile to nasty things it's a bit different.

This was a while ago now, but I did let you know and never got a reply. Just thought I should post it here so you know.
    Originally posted by Turtle

Exactly. I know at least one american who has logged on as me, and I once logged on as Alessandro.
    I just sent a friend to this site, and it automatically logged him in as me. What a strange coincidence...
    Possibly using links that other people have sent, so the link includes their login information...?
    I find it only happens to me when i click a link from hotmail
    I seem to have come across a way that will log me in as a random other person about 75% of the time.

Obviously it would be a bit silly to post it here but if the mods or whoever want to pm / email me I will provide details. (It's not difficult.)
    My ex got logged in as me...........now thats just wrong !

;)
    hmmmm was very bizarre, only noticed when I went to my inbox and had a PM from me??!!??!!

only time its ever happened to me n out of all the squillions of people on this thing it was u it decided to log me in as!
    :no:

:lol:

No harm done :D