Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Popularity of politics?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
While most of the threads seem to rehashing much of the same material with a slightly different viewpoint, I must say it's nice to come on to the New Topics page and see Politics threads making up a large proportion of them.

Debate rages. :)

Comments

• Options
    I learn so much from debating with all of you. I view the liberals on the site as humanitarians...some from a different age. Or maybe a different planet like in Men in Black. My god, you're all really ugly bugs underneath. I used to play Men in Black a few years ago. Shot me plenty of them there aliens pardner.:naughty:
  • Options
    Those of us from a different age can see what you cannot lil man, namely that this is just more of the same BS being foisted on the American public as has been done to justify every coporate backed war since the end of WWII.
  • Options
    It is nice to see so much debate but I do fear that many of the same points are being made over and over again.

My attempt to concentrate the debate on one key issue (the moral arguments thread) descended pretty paridly into a condemnation of American policy in general which is exactly what I didn't want.........:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Those of us from a different age can see what you cannot lil man, namely that this is just more of the same BS being foisted on the American public as has been done to justify every coporate backed war since the end of WWII.

But can you also see that by protesting against everything in the manner which you do, you lose all credibility when you want to protest against a valid point?
  • Options
    I notice that posts regarding Africa don't get debated long...they're sinkers...sinking off the screen. Whoops. There goes another one.

Clandestine I found something of yours. Where did I put it. *searches pants pockets.* Oh, here it is: your sense of humor.
    :lol: :eek2:
  • Options
    DJP, repetition is the name of the game these days or havent you noticed. Apply that same critique to endless circular rhetoric eminating from Washington. Doesnt seem that repeating the sentimental appeal has hurt their credibility has it? Indeed we've even seen that substantiation of concrete fact is no longer required to impact my nation's mentality, merely repeat the same allegation over and over until everyone believes its truth.

If my credibility with you is in doubt, so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it.
  • Options
    If my credibility with you is in doubt, so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Allow me to be mortally surprised, would you? :p
  • Options
    So allowed! ;)
  • Options
    So allowed! ;)

Charmed, I'm sure :p
  • Options
    One thing I like is that the people on the site debate and come back to debate some more. I mean, I see certain names and I pretty much know the angle of the topic's discussion before I read it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    One thing I like is that the people on the site debate and come back to debate some more. I mean, I see certain names and I pretty much know the angle of the topic's discussion before I read it.

One day we'll all change just to confuse you :p
  • Options
    Searches for old Ronnie Reagan campaign leaflet :p
  • Options

Which is exactly why I like new contributers to the forum. As by now I pretty much have an overview on most people stances and general arguments for their ideas.
  • Options
    I mean, I see certain names and I pretty much know the angle of the topic's discussion before I read it.

Occasionally I still manage to surprise people, as I'm sure that both Greenhat and Thanatos would tell you.

I must admit though to getting a little bored with topics after a while. We had a huge session on g*n control some time ago and it cost us a few posters. They got fed up with the circular arguments and seeing the same things said time and time again.

So much so that we try not to mention them anymore.

It's going to get like that over Iraq too. Especially with the huge proliferation of thread being started on the topic...

The other things is that it has become very difficult to debate "Local" issues now, because of the focus on the international. The past few weeks has seen many moves in the UK which would once have been debated here - yesterday's assylum ruling being one - and yet these topics soon disappear because many of our posters come from abroad now. As has been said here, it is difficult to get your countrymen interested in anything that isn't US centered...
  • Options
    Even if I don't agree with everyone who posts here, when I go to other parts of the site the people seem soooo self centered and pondering such crap. Like if you lllllllllllllllllove someone who doesn't love you. All I have to say is how could you? The person obviously has no taste.:D
  • Options
    "But can you also see that by protesting against everything in the manner which you do, you lose all credibility when you want to protest against a valid point?" DJP

See, I'm not here to impress or convince anyone. I see myself like Jimney Cricket. Just when someone thinks they're taking the high ground by marching for peace...I'm there to say: Saddam used you. He calle it an "Iraqi Victory." I also put my picture up on my postings and wrote my tag to say: this is me, deal with it.
  • Options
    Maybe we could do a book group thing to get off Iraq and TWAT a bit.

One person could set a topic and we all have to find out a bit about it and then debate the issue........
  • Options
    Toad, you start.
  • Options
    DJP, is the popularity of the Politics section for the same reason that people gather when there's a fight on the playground?

At least it's a bit of excitement.:naughty:
  • Options
    Maybe you're right. But it's nice, anyway.