Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Seekers Allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a quick question.....

I'm applying for Job seekers allowance for the first time and have all the forms here in front of me but thick me is a little confused.

According to the forms I can either apply for an income allowance or a contribution allowance, but both seem to give the same amount of money - £53.92 per week. Is this right? Or can you apply for both the income and the contribution allowance and therefore take away over £100 a week?? £53.92 does seem a very small amount to live off.

Anyone got any ideas??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lillost, if you have paid enough National Insurance, you will apply for the contribution-based allowance. If you have recently graduated from university (like in my case), you apply for income-based.

Jobseekers allowance is actually £42.50, not £53.92.

It is a tough time, and I had to live off it. My rent is £41 a week, which essentially cancels out the dole money! Luckily, I had about £400 student loan left, so takes care of my food.
    Thanks for the info Monserat. Although I'm over 25 so for me it would be £52.93. At least that's what it says on my form.

I thought the income based allowance thingy meant you would get extra money if you had to pay for your accomodation (which I do). But I've also worked for several years so guess I come under the contributary income aswell. My rent is also alot higher than yours (well, twice as much to be exact!!) due to the fact that I live in London.

I'm just getting a bit worried about it to be honest. Oh well, guess I'll see what they say at the job centre tomorow.
    Lillost, you can also claim something called Housing Benefit where (I think) you have your rent paid for you. I didn't bother claiming mine because the beaurocracy involved filling in a form over twice the number of pages that the jobseekers form had!

Next time you visit the jobcentre, tell your advisory that you are literally living off JSA and that you need information about the housing benefit.
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Lillost, you can also claim something called Housing Benefit where (I think) you have your rent paid for you. I didn't bother claiming mine because the beaurocracy involved filling in a form over twice the number of pages that the jobseekers form had!

Next time you visit the jobcentre, tell your advisory that you are literally living off JSA and that you need information about the housing benefit.

Ya get one or the other, and it depends on NI and savings and stuff, oh and if you live with a partner, and their funds etc too - we get (JOINT CLAIM) £30 a week between us because my partner gets a grant from university - (we should get ~£90 under normal situations) - but she wont let me move out.
    Re: Job Seekers Allowance
    Originally posted by Lillost
    £53.92 does seem a very small amount to live off.

you could get loads more than that just for working a few hours a week! I was unemployed for about 2months but didn't see the point in claiming for a pathetic 40quid a week!
    Re: Re: Job Seekers Allowance
    Originally posted by Faith

you could get loads more than that just for working a few hours a week! I was unemployed for about 2months but didn't see the point in claiming for a pathetic 40quid a week!
    Yes, but the whole point of claiming is because you don't have / can't get a job! And to some people £40 is a lot of money.
    Re: Re: Re: Job Seekers Allowance
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Yes, but the whole point of claiming is because you don't have / can't get a job! And to some people £40 is a lot of money.

Belive me I know how hard it is to get a permanant job, but part-time work isn't difficult to get. Fair enough if you're claiming for disability, child support etc. but I really dont see how most people can't get a part time job to earn over 40quid a week.
    I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying that but it's my opinion, I know what it's like to be totally broke since I'm still looking for a design job since graduating but I just don't see how ppl cant get a part time job - in a bar, shop, MaccyD's, anywhere!
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Job Seekers Allowance
    I just don't see how ppl cant get a part time job - in a bar, shop, MaccyD's, anywhere!

Yes.
    Originally posted by Monserrat

Wasn't that a little stupid of you then? If your allowance was just over £40 and your rent was almost the same, wasn't ten minutes filling in a form worthwhile?

How did you eat, keep warm etc...?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

How did you eat, keep warm etc...?

Keep a PC and internet running? :confused:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Job Seekers Allowance
    I know what it's like to be totally broke since I'm still looking for a design job since graduating but I just don't see how ppl cant get a part time job - in a bar, shop, MaccyD's, anywhere!
    You obviously live in an area where it is easy to get a part time job. I don't. Simple really.

I am going to stop now otherwise I might say something I regret.