Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

anyone been to/live in Scotland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Yo people! Well I wasn't sure what board to put this up on as it's partly about uni buuuuut...

I'm off to Scotland next year, hopefully going to Edinburgh, which I'm really lookin' forward to. Gotta love the accent and all the Scottish people I've met have been real friendly and great to get on with. And... Well I'm from North Wales and I've taken an interest in studying in Glasgow or Edinburgh (good social science department) and I was wondering what the cities are like.

I mean I heard that Glasgow sucks and it's full of smack heads and stuff, but it's also the European city of culture?

Anyone got any info?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Glasgow rules.
    I was born there, and if I wanted to live in a city, thats where i would go. There are certain rough areas which you dont really want to go to, but you get rough areas everywhere. Glasgow is a beautiful lively city, and its friendly too, friendlier than Edinburgh (which is also beautiful)
    Edinburgh is better a place than Glasgow in my opinion.
    Dont live in scotland but my parents do.
    Glasgow's better. Livelier, bigger, more to do etc.

The smack-heads are only in the rough areas, which are outside the city, and basically noone goes there anyway.
    I've never been. Always wanted to though. My Grandfather was from Glasgow. Funily enough, the company I work for is going to be relocating to Glasgow later this year. Our department is supposed to be staying here though. If it moves, I don't want to go - it's cold and windy enough here! If I'm going to move anywhere, it's going to be South!
    I'd like to spend a few weeks in the Highlands, photographing the landscape.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I live near Glasgow, Glasgow is way more friendlier city than Edinburgh!! My sister is at Uni at Loughborough and she says that everyone down there (being mainly english) think of Glasgow as a dump which is rough and full of junkies. WE find this funny to why they should think Glasgow has that reputation with the english. Glasgow has its rough ghetto type parts:p as any other city does but the actual city is Grand, the night life is excellent the shops are brilliant and there is ALOT of culture. I would rather be in Glasgow any day compared to London or Birmingham.
    Don't goto Fife...It;s the overflow from Glasgow...Or so me m8 says.
    Glasgow has amazing shopping compared to Edinburgh. Although I live in Aberdeen, I've rarely been to Glasgow. Not sure why. I've been to Edinburgh a lot though - it's well worth a visit.
    Definitely Glasgow :yes:

not that Im biased or anything :D
    I live in Germany now but I have just moved here after living in Glasgow for 6 years (as a student) - Edinburgh is a nice city but I would def recommend anyone to try Glasgow as a place to study. The people are dead friendly, theres soooo much happening there at the mo, you'll have loads of things to choose from. Shopping and clubbing's better here than in Edinburgh too!!

Plus as the others were saying, smack heads and the rougher element are played up by people to give Glasgow a bad name, sure it exists, but only really to the same extent as in other major british cities.

I wish I were moving back there tomorrow!! :( - Not that Dusseldorf isn't that bad - its just full of Germans!!;)
    Originally posted by Jay-O
    Don't goto Fife...It;s the overflow from Glasgow...Or so me m8 says.

And it's full of tuchters :p
    Edinburgh is fantastic!!!!!

It's my favourite city in the whole wide world ever. It even beats Manchester (which is saying something, cos I LOVE manchester!)

so my post might be a bit biased!

I have lived in Edinburgh for two and a bit years, just moved up there when I started my course at Heriot-Watt uni.

I could not have made a better choice - for me anyway. My uni is a campus uni, which i love, because there is a real sense of community there. you get to know EVERYONE, which i love, but not all people do!

But no matter how much I love my uni, it would not be the same if i did not like the town it was situated in. but this is not the case with edinburgh. i love it there sooooooooo much. being a small town girl, i find the city is just the right size for me. it's big enough to have excellent shopping/going out facilities, but small enough to feel like home - and not just feel like 'one of the crowd'.

it's also got fantastic views. the first time i went there - for open day with my dad - i couldn't get over how pretty it was. i loved it, as soon as i stepped foot in the place. i want to work there when i graduate! the thought of leaving the place forever when i finish uni makes me feel sad!

as i have said in other posts tonight, i am a little drunk at the time of writing (but not so drunk i can't type, notice!!) so take everything i've said with a pinch of salt.

but i LOVE edinburgh!!!!!!!!!!

go to ed!!

no, really, you'll love it!

:naughty:
    well....i went to Edinburgh Uni for a term and absolutely hated it....you gotta be the right type of person to go there. A lot of my friends enjoy it. Oh, and if its Scottish accents you want, you will actually be hard pushed to find them at Edinburgh Uni...a hell of a lot of people there are English, mainly from the South od England.

I kinda wish I went to Glasgow Uni now....the music scene there is huge, and that is what I am particularly interested in

Im at Aberdeen Uni now, which is seriously wicked...i would definately recommend it.

Just remember to look at the city and the campus, not just the course, to make sure the whole package is for you :)