Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcahol????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I have a beer, like the first of of the day/night I get really hot round my neck and face and my eyes water slightly. I heard that Chinses people get the same type of thing. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's best to avoid alcohol if you're taking antidepressants, following on from your other thread.
    I'm not acctually taking antidepressants at the mo tho.
    That's a hot flush.

Post menopausal women often get it...and when i went for a kidney scan they injected a dense fluid and i got flushes from that too.

You shold really be avoiding alcohol the first and last thing of the day. Start with a glass of water. Chinese ppl get drunk, not hot flushes!!!
    no i have heard of people especially chinese ppl being affected by that, i think some had a thread about it before
    I think what you are refering to is the fact that quite a lot of people in the Far East dont have the same enzime as us for breaking down the booze and therefore get drunk quicker and on less.

As for getting red in the face, I get that a bit, if its really serious though you could always stop drinking.

As for drinking with SSRI's as I assume that your young your doctor will most probally have given you one you can drink with. Sertraline I think its called is one of the more widely prescribed ones. I would drink too heavily with it though and if you have been given prozac (relatively unlikely) then dont drink at all.
    Post menopausal women often get it...and when i went for a kidney scan they injected a dense fluid and i got flushes from that too.

I'm male and 21 tho.
    ooh, i didn't know you couldn't drink when you were on prozac... how comes? My doctor didn't tell me that when she put me on it, so i drank then. Am off it now, but didn't have any adverse side effects at the time...
    I aksed my doctor about drinking & Prozac and he said that if I drive or what eva don't drink as much as you get pissed quicker.
    I get hot flushes, well sort of a blush if I'm drinking wine. It seems pretty natural.

Fluoxetine, or Prozac as it's more commonly known magnifies the effects of alcohol, so you really do have to be careful how much you drink. Another thing to take note of is that alcohol is a depressent and can affect your mood.