Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's the difference?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
j
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    GCE stands for General Certificate of Education, and A-Levels and GCSEs are all forms of these. The 'S' in the GCSE is secondary.

VCE I would imagine stands for Vocational Certificate of Education, and I think therefore the GNVQ and AVCEs etc come under this heading.
    Isn't GCE just A Level? I may be wrong...

Apart from that I'd say the same as xapis. Although i've never heard of AVCE but maybe it's Advanced vocational certificate of education, so the same thing compared with GNVQs as A Levels compared with GCSEs? Or i may be talking out of my arse...
    yup, that's what AVCE stands for, so yeah GCSE and GNVQ are the same level and then A-Levels and AVCE, so far as I know....

i thought that GCE covered the lot but only A-Levels are actualyl referred to it, but you're probably right, it's definitely A and AS though...just not GCSE? i dunno!
    Re: What's the difference?!
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Can anyone tell me the difference between GCSE, GNVQ, GCE and VCE courses? About 99% of people I know in Year 11 are doing GCSE, and a few GNVQ in like art or IT. Never heard of anyone doing the other 2 options...anyone shed any light?! :confused:

Ok here we go

GSCE is the kind of general subjects you do in secondary school such as history science etc
    COE is the more basic level of these exams
    GCE is the next step up from GCSE - the advanced (hence A level) exams but now under the new system also AS levels
    GNVQ has several levels, some equivalent to GCSE and some to A level, they're basically vocational subjects like Public services courses, Health and Social care, etc etc
    not ENTIRELY sure about VCE - aside from they're vocational

Try asking a careers advisor!