Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

America And Prisons.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
america imprison more of it's own people per head of population than any other western country. why? what is wrong in the land of the free? unlike britain, private companies make money from the slave labour of these prisoners. america gas, hang, elctrocute and inject deadly chemicals into thier prisoners as well. isn't this a bit barbaric for a 21st century political system?
the death penalty obviously doesn't deter anyone as they have such a high rate of murder. if it does deter people then how violent and murderous would this nation be without these barbaric practices?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You would think that a country that's so deeply religious would have stopped these atrocities a long time ago. I really can't understand it.
    It's the funadamentalist Christian community which are amongst the most staunch advocates of the death penalty as well as nuclear weapons whilst being anti-abortion. Now basically the message that sends is "in the womb we'll fight for the sanctity of your life, but once out of the womb we couldnt give a rats ass about you". lol.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    "in the womb we'll fight for the sanctity of your life, but once out of the womb we couldnt give a rats ass about you". lol.

Before any of the pro-death penalty lobby arrive can I point out their take on that line...

"in the womb we couldn't give a rats ass about you, once you're out we'll protect you no matter what you do"
    You could also argue that a collection of forming cells the size of an almond is hardly a person.
    You don't have to convince me.

Of course, you might have to convince some scientists who are arguing now that anything with DNA should be considered "alive" - this a result of research into viruses which have DNA but cannot reproduce...
    Yes, we actually put criminals in jail Yes, we execute the killers of the innocent. Really not so barbaric. Why it is done in China, Singapore, most of the Arabic world, and many other places.

England has no death penalty and I can see how safe it has become. I realize now that it is better to let criminals go and prosecute people who defend themselves.

We here, like England, have many left wingers who help keep people in economic bondage. They need the voting block of those who see themselves as victims.

As for not giving a rat's posterior about other people you are mistaken. Americans give billions to chrities here and abroad.
    I realize it is fashionable to hate Americans but in the end we don't care what you folks think. Rant on about how bad we are. My relatives back home in England don't see us as evil!
    Originally posted by Murph the Surf
    Yes, we actually put criminals in jail Yes, we execute the killers of the innocent. Really not so barbaric. Why it is done in China, Singapore, most of the Arabic world, and many other places.

Umm, these countries really wouldn't be the best example you should use when defending our criminal justice system. Capital punishment might not be barbaric, but these countries are less than civilized.
    Originally posted by Alessandro

Umm, these countries really wouldn't be the best example you should use when defending our criminal justice system. Capital punishment might not be barbaric, but these countries are less than civilized.

Funny thing, they seem to think the same thing of the west.
    Nope, just America. We're not the ones threatening to destroy everything :D
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Nope, just America. We're not the ones threatening to destroy everything :D

Ah, so that's why they bombed Bali... :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Murph the Surf
    Really not so barbaric. Why it is done in China, Singapore, most of the Arabic world

Really, that's a classic quote. Such wonderful company, I'm sure that many US citizen love to be compared with them. Most of which could quite easily (by our morals, Greenhat ;) ) be classed as barbaric regimes. Certainly, not one democracy there...

Oh and those Arab states, includes Iraq...
    I realize it is fashionable to hate Americans

This isn't about me hating Americans. This is about me trying to work out why it is unacceptable for a person to cold bloddedly kill a human, but not for the State to do the same.

The same argument I would level against everyone of those countries mentioned above.

Interesting though that the US condemn Saddam as evil partly because "He kills his own citizens", once again missing the irony, this time of their own death penalty...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Interesting though that the US condemn Saddam as evil partly because "He kills his own citizens", once again missing the irony, this time of their own death penalty...

There is the "due process" part...
    Originally posted by Greenhat

There is the "due process" part...
    And the due process is always correct?
    And the police don't kill people if they resist arrest, without due process?

Really, that's a classic quote. Such wonderful company, I'm sure that many US citizen love to be compared with them. Most of which could quite easily (by our morals, Greenhat ;) ) be classed as barbaric regimes. Certainly, not one democracy there...

This isn't about me hating Americans. This is about me trying to work out why it is unacceptable for a person to cold bloddedly kill a human, but not for the State to do the same.

The same argument I would level against everyone of those countries mentioned above.

Well said MoK. :thumb:
    Originally posted by Me_and
    And the due process is always correct?
    And the police don't kill people if they resist arrest, without due process?

Is the "due process" always correct? Probably not, but it does happen.

As for resisting arrest, unless the person resists with deadly force, the police aren't going to kill them...probably not then. Mistakes get made, but mistakes get made everywhere, not just in the USA.

The American people voted (and the majority support it)for the death penalty. Each state that its citizens want it has it. The U.S. is a democracy(republic). What part of that don't you understand?
    Mistakes get made, but mistakes get made everywhere, not just in the USA.
    But the mistakes aren't a human life
    Originally posted by Me_and
    But the mistakes aren't a human life

LOL..really? How about the deaths from auto accidents?

This isn't about me hating Americans. This is about me trying to work out why it is unacceptable for a person to cold bloddedly kill a human, but not for the State to do the same...

There would appear to be a difference between the reckoning after a "trial by peers", and genocide. Regardless of clandestine-collaborator's attempt to paint the United States and its current leadership as the modern day incarnation of the Nazi party, the LAWFUL execution of those wilfully renting the bonds of society is different from the systematic elimination of a race or sect... even Englishman. ;)

The French, however? Hmmm... let me ponder THAT one - for a bit - and then get back to you... :rolleyes:
    You are a real piece of work Globe, offensive as ever and so out of touch with the realities of anything you argue that you should have your own sunday comic strip.

The difference between an individual killing someone and the state is the state has a means of legitimising its actions via the justice system regardless of liklihood that many who recieve the death penalty might in fact not be guilty at all, only too poor to pay for adequate legal defense and unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and of the wrong ethnic persuasion.

LOL..really? How about the deaths from auto accidents?

Golly, Mr Greenhat!

Do you think the clanestine-collaborator will ever comprehend that life is not fair? That you cannot litigate your way back from a fatal accident with a "wrongful death" suit? :lol:

Perhaps the collaborator is correct... let us call a general amnesty, and release all of those poor, misunderstood and maligned souls back into the world, because it is better that ALL murderers go free, than for one innocent man to lose his life. :rolleyes:

"Innocent" persons have lost their lives through no act of their own, from the beginning of the human species. If you (the collaborator) cannot deal with that, then better you should join the MR in his drug stupor insulated existence, than the bring about the end of order and the rule of chaos.

Letting murderers go free would make your existence very vulnerable to Darwinism... and without penalty.
    In your typical fashion you can cite only two extremes. Hardly surprising that you are incapable of seeing other options available than frying prisoners or setting them free, which by the way i never advocated. You just keep right on proving how narrow your thought processes are, it certainly explains why your career choice turned out to be little more than a killing machine for corrupt politicians.
    Originally posted by Globe

then better you should join the MR in his drug stupor insulated existence, than the bring about the end of order and the rule of chaos.

LOL. i use three drugs. alcohol. nicotine. cannabis.
    the first two are very dangerous poisons that actualy kill millions of people. the third has been used since the dawn of time without one single death. i have a lot of responsibilities and fullfill them very well thankyou.
    when i started this thread it was because i had read some rather disturbing stuff about mentaly handicapped people and kids being fried! if this is the sort of democracy and freedom you want to impose on the world then i'm worried. i do a lot of work with mentaly handicapped kids and occasionaly adults. to know you would willingly slaughter just one of these people is very disturbing.
    my insulated existence aye! you couldn't be more wrong globe.
    tell me, in your minds eye you see a deranged poverty stricken desperate dirty individual sat typing this don't you? you don't know much about people and life at all do you! you have made me laugh for a change though. thanks.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i use three drugs. alcohol. nicotine. cannabis.
    the first two are very dangerous poisons that actualy kill millions of people. the third has been used since the dawn of time without one single death.

Pretty broad statement there. Wrong, too.

Pretty broad statement there. Wrong, too.
    which bit was wRONG?
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    ... it certainly explains why your career choice turned out to be little more than a killing machine for corrupt politicians.

Hardly a "career choice"...

I served out one enlistment. Two tours of combat. I was encouraged into serving my nation during the reign of the Democratic Party... the "Great Society" ring a bell? All of those high minded, liberal Democrats? :lol:

My "career"? Was something of a more personally gratifying endeavor. And lasted much longer than a single enlistment. Not quite as dangerous, although many died there, also.

Unlike you, who has made a lifetime endeavor of subversion of his nation... ;) Your "perks" are much nicer than the ones offered to me, the pay is much better for you, and not nearly so likely as to inconvenience you with dismemberment, or death.

But then... you are the one who claims to be the "altruist"...

ROTFLMMFAO! :lol:
    which bit was wRONG?

Cannabis has caused deaths. A number of them are documented in Native American histories.

Cannabis has caused deaths. A number of them are documented in Native American histories.
    not what the world health organisation has said. unless your talking of a stoned injun
    putting an arrow through another stoned injun.
    not what the world health organisation has said. unless your talking of a stoned injun
    putting an arrow through another stoned injun.

Don't think the WHO was around in the 18th Century. ;)
    Globe, you truly overstep your bounds of propriety to suggest that anyone who doesnt share your political bent is subverting his/her nation. I happen to be very concerned about the long term consequences which those like you will bring upon our country.

Like numerous other decent Americans who are working fervently to counter the half truths which Washington has been spewing out since 9/11, I happen to see dire consequences both politically and with respect to the future security of my countrymen at home and abroad if Bush is allowed to continue his "shoot first ask questions later" brand of cowboy foreign policy.

Nevertheless, as has been said, for now what will be will be and in two years time we shall judge his handling of global and domestic matters at the ballot box.