Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shoe bomber walks the walk.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Shoe Bomber Sentenced to Life in Prison

By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - A judge sentenced Richard Reid, a self-described member of al-Qaida, to life in prison Thursday for trying to blow up a trans-Atlantic jetliner with explosives hidden in his shoes.

*smirk*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shame the tax payer has to foot the bill for this piece of shit, a bullet is alot cheaper

DinkyDau
    Originally posted by DinkyDau
    Shame the tax payer has to foot the bill for this piece of shit, a bullet is alot cheaper

DinkyDau

I have a better idea - make him work his debt to society as a crash test dummy for those new hydrogen cars Bush was talking about.

Either that or exectute him on live TV.:naughty:
    Originally posted by DevilMan

I have a better idea -.......................................................................... or exectute him on live TV.:naughty:

Good idea sell tickets, profits go to a charity.

crispy critter is what he should be.

DinkyDau
    Originally posted by DinkyDau

Letting him walk away would be cheaper too. Your point being...?

What that the death penalty should apply for people who haven't actually killed anyone else? I know that the US has some pretty backward capital punishment laws but this would be a little extreme even for you...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Letting him walk away would be cheaper too. Your point being...?

What that the death penalty should apply for people who haven't actually killed anyone else? I know that the US has some pretty backward capital punishment laws but this would be a little extreme even for you...

simply put - he is a disease, the injection would be the merciful cure.
    No he isn't. He's a symptom of a disease.

There is a root cause, something which the US is still struggling to comprehend. The US does have a part to play in this, people won't attack you without a reason - and contrary to your beliefs over there it isn't about jealousy.

I'm not going to condone what he did, but unless you realise that US foreign policy helps to create people like this then you are going to get nowhere.

When it comes to Iraq, I support the US cause. Shame I cannot do the same about your stance on Israel/Palestine.

There is a root cause, something which the US is still struggling to comprehend. The US does have a part to play in this, people won't attack you without a reason - and contrary to your beliefs over there it isn't about jealousy.

I'm not going to condone what he did, but unless you realise that US foreign policy helps to create people like this then you are going to get nowhere.

When it comes to Iraq, I support the US cause. Shame I cannot do the same about your stance on Israel/Palestine.

No your partly wrong, people/Nations attack because they think your weak and they can win. Osama's win would have been americas withdrawal from the world.

Each nation that has had to deal with terrorism has had some people who have claimed "it's our fault". But regardless of the actions or inaction taken, terrorism continues to be with us. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Let's be brutally honest here. Terrorism is nothing but the neighborhood bully elevated to the level of world affairs. There is no justification for it, and the people who benefit from terrorism (like Arafat and Bin Laden, even Sharon), do not want it to end and will create reasons and causes in order to maintain their power. All the "ifs" in the world are sheer bullshit because they all assume that the terrorists want these "causes" addressed.
    Sorry Greenhat, but this is about taking some responsibility for your actions too. Someone thing I thought you supported.

All the while that the US openly supports Israel and yet condemns so many Muslim countries, you will face a backlash. Too much effort is put into people like Saddam and too little into addressing people like Sharon. That is what moderates see.

So when they see this injustice it is hardly surprising that moderate start to empathise with the evil scum sucking terrorists. And help them.

At some point these terrorists are going to really hurt the US. If you think that WTC was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. I'm sure we can both agree on that.

I don't condone what terrorists do, and I support how the US wants to deal with them, but the US needs to accept that their policies help create this situation.

Surely you can see the injustice of US policy?
    Sorry Greenhat, but this is about taking some responsibility for your actions too. Someone thing I thought you supported.

All the while that the US openly supports Israel and yet condemns so many Muslim countries, you will face a backlash. Too much effort is put into people like Saddam and too little into addressing people like Sharon. That is what moderates see.

So when they see this injustice it is hardly surprising that moderate start to empathise with the evil scum sucking terrorists. And help them.

At some point these terrorists are going to really hurt the US. If you think that WTC was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. I'm sure we can both agree on that.

I don't condone what terrorists do, and I support how the US wants to deal with them, but the US needs to accept that their policies help create this situation.

Surely you can see the injustice of US policy?

Well, how about we look at the reality of US policy?

The United States supports the only democracy in the region, Israel. It also supports Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Quatar and Jordan. At one time, Iran and Lebanon were friends of the United States.

What countries have been condemned? Iraq and Iran..Syria at one point...Libya at another. Why? Primarily because of support of terrorism. "Condemns so many"?

Why would that idea exist? Is it because it is to the advantage of the leaders of those countries to keep the focus of their people on Israel (to keep their minds on something other than their own situation) and on the United States (because without blaming the USA, how do they explain their inability to wipe Israel from the face of the Earth)? Are we to believe that the leaders of those nations (including the ones we support) want their issues resolved, when it is fairly obvious that such resolution would put the leaders of those nations at risk? Terrorism is about power, not about issues. You would think that a nation that has dealt with the IRA for 80 years would recognize that (some of the work on analysis of Terrorism and their tools and motives was done by Scotland Yard because they were fairly successful in penetrating the IRA and some of the European terrorist organizations).

And if that is all it takes, why has it taken Britain so long to deal with the IRA (which is far from over)?

Btw, I'm not saying that the US hasn't made mistakes. But those mistakes are not key to why the situation with terrorism in the middle-east exists.
    That's an interesting analysis, but somewhat fails to recall that the very Terrorists we are dealing with are lead by a man whom we trained and backed, namely OBL. So you can't just excuse our complicity simply because he isnt terrorising the people we want him to. This is what happens when our Foreign policy creates monsters, they can and have turn(ed) on us down the road.

So if everything is as black and white as you would like to paint the world, our leaders shouldnt be creating monsters in the first place or try to pretend that these monsters just sprang out of a vacuum when our public becomes the target. Something Bush and Co don't have the honesty or character to come clean about.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    That's an interesting analysis, but somewhat fails to recall that the very Terrorists we are dealing with are lead by a man whom we trained and backed, namely OBL.

You do realize that this ongoing claim is bullshit? Nobody from the United States trained OBL to be a terrorist. Supported him in terms of paid for him to build certain facilities with his engineering/construction firm? Yes, so?

OBL was a peripheral part of the Muj. Not any major player, and certainly not trained. Oh, and personnel training of the Muj was done by the British, not the Americans...just for your information.

But that doesn't make for such a wonderful opportunity to bash the United States, does it?
    that shoebomber guy looked fucking bonkers to me!
    He was part of that loser, Mosque of extremists in London. He was just a jerk who would blow himself up.
    That is a good analysis Greeny but you make the point yourself (That Mok was making) that the US supports regimes that are by most definitions 'bad'.

It is not the states that terrorise it is the civillian populations who have very little political clout or power of any kind.

It is these peoples grievances that need to be addressed and whilst they are not a small minority will turn to terrorism as their only means of empowerment.
    Wrong. The Wahabbi clerics drive a radical form of Islam. All of the terrorists running Al Qaeda are from extremely wealthy families. The reason Saudi Arabia has been sponsoring the Wahabbi is it suits their own goals: to take the spotlight off of their wealth in Saudi Arabia and put it on the West, to fight their enemies including Iran...whose take on the Muslim religion the Wahabbi don't recognize.
    shoebomber

I think I'd rather be executed than to be a terrorist prisoner in an American prison. They better keep his ass in solitude for his own good.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Wrong. The Wahabbi clerics drive a radical form of Islam. All of the terrorists running Al Qaeda are from extremely wealthy families. The reason Saudi Arabia has been sponsoring the Wahabbi is it suits their own goals: to take the spotlight off of their wealth in Saudi Arabia and put it on the West, to fight their enemies including Iran...whose take on the Muslim religion the Wahabbi don't recognize.

Was that adressed to me?

Thats kind of what I was trying to say anyway........:confused:
    Oh sorry. heee.

Just drank a liter bottle of Coke. Typing very fast.....:o
    Originally posted by Toadborg

It is these peoples grievances that need to be addressed and whilst they are not a small minority will turn to terrorism as their only means of empowerment.

No, they turn to terrorism because a group of leaders who want power for themselves incite them and encourage them to hate others. The technique used by terrorists is not significantly different than that used by Adolf Hitler to get elected. Their actual grievances make no difference since the leadership will always find grievances to use in creating this environment, and they will not allow it to be solved as that would eliminate their source of power.
    So it is the leaders that are the key. Do you not think that the young people who are swayed to join terrorist organisations have real grievances that if solved would make them far less likely to be influenced by radical leaders?
    Indeed Toadborg, but Greeny and his lot only believe that Americans are intelligent enough to see through the rhetoric of power hungry leaders, Young muslims are just mindless tabula rasii waiting for some nutcase to programme them.

Interesting then how easily some here have been programmed by CNN and the Bush spin factory then isnt it? Truly amazing! :eek2:
    He was a member of that Finley Mosque. And I'm sure there's lot's of ways we can feel sorry for him. We could say he wasn't English, in a country that's 80% English. Maybe people were prejudiced against him or he felt left out.

But maybe he followed Wahhabism and believed there was one way to live and the West was his enemy. The point to me is to get these people...if someone was pointing a gun at someone you loved...wouldnt' you realize the point was to kill him before he killed the one you love?

PS This loser isn't getting the death penalty because that's left up to the states and because he didn't get the opportunity to murder everyone on board that flight. So we'll have to settle watching him age in prison.
    Indeed Toadborg, but Greeny and his lot only believe that Americans are intelligent enough to see through the rhetoric of power hungry leaders, Young muslims are just mindless tabula rasii waiting for some nutcase to programme them.

Interesting then how easily some here have been programmed by CNN and the Bush spin factory then isnt it? Truly amazing! :eek2:

Kind of funny since your sacred Democrats seem to think that only they know what is good for everyone...

Young Muslims react to the information fed them...just like young Americans do, or young Brits...

The youngster who calls himself Clandestine is a perfect example, after all, look at how he reacts to conspiracy theories...
    Serious questions demanding more than spin, inconsistent claims, and political diversionary tactics are hardly conspiracy theories. They are issues which even you should agree the world has a right to settle conlcusively.

Concerning Democrats, well Greeny, its your "oh so supposedly morally surperior" Republican hawks who are the ones dictating to our nation and to the world what is right for all. Theyve even installed anti-democratic mechanisms to see that their will is imposed without hinderance, imagine that! :rolleyes:

As for youngster, you can blow that one right out your tookus.
    Originally posted by Greenhat

The youngster who calls himself Clandestine is a perfect example, after all, look at how he reacts to conspiracy theories...

Respectfully, Greenhat... I believe that "child grown older" would be more accurate than "youngster".
    Serious questions demanding more than spin...

With the words of the clandestine-collaborator's "defiled heroic demi-god": "Can you define 'is'?"

No one in US history was more capable and daring - much less arrogant enough - to perfect "the spin" than Komrad Blowjob Klinton. :lol:
    Well given your penchant for playing with guns, Id say the title suits you far more than it does me Thantos. :lol:

Be careful Thanatos, deriding a former duly elected government leader makes you "Anti-Amarican"! :rolleyes:
    Well given your penchant for playing with guns, Id say the title suits you far more than it does me Thantos. :lol:

Never "played" with "guns".

Employed them as a tool, within my designated responsibilities.

Work with them, and have been contacted to assist in developing a weapon system which is to be submitted for our Special Forces to use.

"Played"?

Prima facie as to your ignorance...
    Being called ignorant by you is actually a compliment, so thanks!
    Well given your penchant for playing with guns, Id say the title suits you far more than it does me Thantos.

For someone so concerned with the US Constitution and people's rights, the 2d Amendment seems curiously absent from your concerns.